Monday, January 6, 2014

POOL NOODLE FOAM PIPE PROTECTOR FOR FREEZE

They say necessity is the mother of invention?  Well, in prepping the farmhouse for our polar express cold snap this past weekend, I went to the store to get some of those foam pipe protectors for the empty spots.  Of course, with our local media pushing this as the end of the world, the stores were out of bread, bottled water, batteries, and of course, foam pipe protectors.
What to do what to do...




I looked around and saw these pool noodles, you know, the ones you float on in pools?  Side note, they are really fun in a pool, but I digress...





I picked it up and saw that there was a hole down the middle.  Hmm, I wonder if it will cut easily?




Yes!  It's super easy to cut!  Just cut them to the length you need and then cut a slit up one side.





Voila, it worked like a charm (and honestly, seems a bit better than the standard foam protectors).  I covered the gaps where I needed them (those other parts were covered too after the photo was taken, ha).








For wrapping the outside pipes and faucets, it worked great as well.





Even the little sections where maybe you didn't have any before but want to put some up just to be on the safe side, it is perfect to cut into small pieces.   







25 comments:

  1. Excellent repurposing! Now I feel the need to go buy pool noodles and hoard them for pipe wrapping purposes! Hope y'all are staying warm :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, it's not a bad deal that's for sure. We're trying to stay warm but heck, it's only low 20's...I know others are enduring much much colder. You stay warm too!

      Delete
  2. Brilliant And you probably got them for a great price this time of year, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep! Those will work and I've seen them as cheap as $1 a piece in the Dollar Stores...could probably make 3 or 4 pipe insulators out of 1 noodle too! Sure beats paying the HIGH PRICE for one at Home Depot or Lowes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dollar Store is a great place for them. And yes, there was an article I saw on the news here about stores charging high prices for the pipe insulators.

      Delete
  4. They look so much more Dapper than regular wrap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I never thought about it but they do look spiffier don't they? And hey, one can find all sorts of loud colors if they are so inclined, ha. Hope you are warm!!!!

      Delete
  5. 1st Man,

    Great idea!!! We did find this insulated foam tape at Home Depot 2 years ago and we use it all the time. We put a plastic bag wrapped around the faucets, then tape from top to bottom on the faucet. When spring comes we just cut the tape in one area and pull, everything comes off and there's no sticky stuck left.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that when the cold is gone and it's not outrageously hot (you know, the month or so we get here, ha) I'm going to crawl around under the house and put new stuff on all the pipes. I might have to look for some of that foam tape. Great idea! Hope you are staying warm and safe!

      Delete
  6. Next year, I will buy those when they go on sale at the end of the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, there are a myriad of uses for them I'm sure. And I DO love a good sale, ha.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Ha, thank you much. Necessity is the mother of invention huh? LOL! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Real Genius. It's funny how I'm having this exact conversation with a friend from pool service phoenix as I read your blog -- thinking of the many benefits of Pool Noodles. The possibility seems endless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just googling to see if it worked because I had this idea for my house after looking at the price of the stuff they sell at hardware stores and Walmart. It's shorter thinner and more expensive than the noodles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another reason we used it, we found them at the Dollar store, ha. It did work, nothing froze that season. Of course now we've just taken to draining the system. The only downside we found to the pool noodles was that they came off after a period of time. Now to be fair, we didn't tie them on with anything but would the next time. They also deteriorate after a couple years in the elements. But at the price, easy to replace every season. Thanks and good luck!!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!