Tuesday, August 20, 2024

FOLLOW YOUR HEART VEGENAISE REVIEW

New house teaser coming soon, sorry it's been a busy weekend and yesterday was crazy.  Had this post ready and it was easier to put up.

We've made a few recipes lately and mentioned the heart healthy mayo that we found.  Several of you have asked what we used.

I bought it on a whim one day after looking at the label and wow, are we glad.


It is called "Follow Your Heart Original Vegenaise".  Now of course, we're not vegans, but this just fits perfectly into our new way of eating.  I will admit, one of the things I missed, a lot, is mayo.  When I saw this, I figured, well, let me try it.

We were so surprised when we opened it.  It looks like mayo and is just as creamy and spreadable.  No difference in texture or appearance, maybe slightly whiter as opposed to an off white (because those use eggs with yolk).

We wish we could convey how much this tastes like mayo.  If you gave this to me in a blind taste test, I would think, it's not my usual brand, maybe like the difference between Hellman's vs Blue Plate vs Duke's vs this. You'd think it's mayo for sure, you just wouldn't be sure what brand.  It's not too sour, not too sweet, it's hits the right, mild, pleasant taste spot.  We think it tastes amazing!


Per TBSP.:  0.5 gram of saturated fat vs 6 in the mayo we used to use!  Sodium is 70mg, less than normal and 0 carbs.  No dairy, no eggs, no cholesterol and no preservatives.

It's more expensive of course (why is everything good for you more expensive, sigh) but we don't use much so it lasts us a while. 

Of course, we're still adapting things like this to our moderation method of eating and so we don't eat it regularly of course.  Because it's made with oil (and has to be) it does still have fat, so we have to watch that (moderation) but regular fat you just have to watch the totals for the day and a smear here or there won't hurt.  The good thing for us is that when we change a recipe that has used mayo, now we can use this.  For example, the casserole I made that used 1/4 cup of mayonnaise I can now substitute this.  1/4 cup is 4 TBSP so this adds only 2 grams of saturated fat vs 24 grams (!) of the regular mayo.  That's a win/win.

Of course, there is that occasional sandwich where mustard just won't do. 

But it sure is nice to have that tomato and mayo sandwich on occasion (it's a Southern thing, LOL). 

4 comments:

  1. Moderation is indeed the key to good health, and a lot of other things. If everybody practiced moderation in all phases of their lives, the world would be a much better place overall. In my opinion, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking of expensive, my milk just went up to $5.39/half gallon! I will have to look up the ingredients. Too bad it does not taste like Miracle Whip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you check out Just Mayo ... it is a very healthy alternative, too! And, tastes great, as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m going to look for this in my local H‑E‑B. Hoping they have it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!