Sunday, March 9, 2014

FARMS NEED TREES, VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY

Farms Need Trees, vintage poster image, courtesy of US National Archive
Here is a neat  poster...Plains Farms Need Trees.  This was part of the Prairie States Forestry Project that was started by President Roosevelt in 1935 to help fight against the severe erosion that occurred during the period of the great  Dust Bowl.  For those around the world unfamiliar with this period of US history, CLICK HERE for the wiki entry.

Over 200 million tree seedlings were planted during this time.  I love the caption at the bottom of the post that says trees "...contribute to human comfort and happiness".  Truer words were never spoken.  It actually reminds us that there are a few open spaces along fence lines at the farm where we need to plant a few more trees.  Trees are always a good thing. 

More later this afternoon, we're rainy and cold again.  Sigh.  

3 comments:

  1. For taller trees faster, plant trees next to fence posts. The trees compete to get taller than the post. Or, you can put tree tubes around the little trees. They will grow faster and stronger than a taller tree you plant for two reasons. They are protected from animals and mishaps. They spend time taking up nutrients, whereas, a larger tree struggles to stay alive and support the larger growth. In the end, the smaller protected tree that has competition will have the best root system, be supported by more nutrients, grow taller because of competition.

    Don't get a six-foot tree; get a four foot one. Or, get one of each and see which grows best. Actually, a twig in a tree tube will out-grow the other two.

    Fall is tree-planting time. The experts explained to me that nurseries carry tree in the spring because people want them. Of course, there may be some that grow best in spring. What do I know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love trees. They do contribute to my comfort and happiness. When we drove from Nuevo Laredo to Memphis, I was so sad that there were no trees, My mood much improved when we finally saw trees that were not short and far away. It was a comfort. If we did not have trees in the South, it would be a miserable existence with the heat.

      Delete
    2. Amen! Yes, trees are essential down here int eh South huh? In our area, we are told we can plant in Spring but i've often wondered how accurate that is. Now our fruit trees I did plant last Spring but it was kind of late Spring. I Think I will try them this Fall too. I figure we can never have too many fruit/nut trees around the property so I'll just see how it goes. We do have a large park here in Houston that lost thousands and thousands of trees in drought 2 years ago and they are currently planting thousands more seedlings. I've always wanted tp plant lost of seedlings but I wonder how to water, or should I just rely on rain. The park is just planting them randomly and all over, and there is nothing to follow up on watering them. Maybe I should just try it. They are planting pines and a few other varieties. Thanks for the advice!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!