Monday, March 24, 2014

THE DEWBERRIES ARE COMING

Wild Texas Dewberry
See the patch above with the white flowers?  
I've been mowing around and around it, over the last two years, trying to train it to grow and stay within its area.

Dewberries are coming
It's now it's own little large island...

Dewberry patch
An island of dewberries!

Dewberry flowers
For those new to the blog, CLICK HERE to learn about dewberries.

They are still flowers at this point, but there are hundreds thousands of white flowers everywhere.  These will all become berries in another month or so.  We've observed that every two years, they seem to be really good and productive.  Last year was not so good, the year before was great.  That means that this year is the 2nd year crop and so we have our fingers crossed!

There are dewberries everywhere on the property, along fence lines, under trees, etc, but this patch is near the garden (if you zoom in on upper left corner of first picture, you can see the garden fence).  We thought it would be nice to just keep mowing around it year after year so we develop a specific spot for the berries to always be.  Then, as we clear other areas that might have berries, we  will always know this one will stay the same.  It will be nice to invite friends and family out for dewberry picking sessions and to have a specific spot that is easy and safe to get to.

Looks like a bumper crop is coming!


10 comments:

  1. What a beautiful dewberry patch. I like dewberries much better than blackberries. They don't have as many seeds as the blackberries and I think they are sweeter. We may have a few up by the driveway at the road, but not enough to do anything with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are better in our opinion too. Gosh we have so many, at least, blooming now anyway, ha. I do want to make sure we get as many as possible this year. It might be 2016 before we have this many again, ha.

      Delete
  2. how wonderful! are you guys thinking about beekeeping? the farm is just perfect for it. you could have dewberry honey if you placed a hive by the island.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TOTALLY going to have bees. In fact, this weekend, Saturday, is an all day bee class that we signed up for. Sort of an intro to bees. And one of the spots I've been clearing is for a future hive (or two).

      Delete
  3. Do you have issues with the birds or is there that many that you can share?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds do get their share, the ones on the top of the vines, but there are lots and lots down low that we get. I don't mind sharing a bit, ha.

      Delete
  4. I remember first hearing about dewberries from another one of your posts a few years ago. I always find it interesting to read about what wild edibles and fruit grow in other parts of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think last year I posted about what few we had and two years ago was the banner year. I better save all we can this year so it lasts until 2016, LOL! Isn't it fascinating what grows in different parts of the country? I love it. This is such a great country with such diversity.

      Delete
  5. Oh my I LOVE LOVE LURVE dewberries. When we used to live in Texas, I was out after work every day at a 'secret patch' near my office that a few of us knew about. We'd put our tennis shoes on after working in heels, and start pulling them off the vines. Too fun. And I'm jealous of your berries!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never had a dewberry...but that patch is amazing! I wonder if I can grow them here at my place. You've given me some "food" for thought! Get some bees out there...soon!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!