Sunday, March 23, 2014

VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY, FOOD WILL WIN THE WAR


These are neat.  They are from WWI, circa about 1917.  The US Food Administration, which eventually became the FDA, was involved in rationing food so that there was more food available for troops, as well as keeping enough for the rest of the country to eat.

So these signs urged special days of the week to go without certain food items.  "Meatless Days, Wheatless Days, and Porkless Days".  These signs went up at restaurants and stores to tell patrons that they participated in the 'rules' set up by the Food Administration, though I think they were more suggestions than actual requirements.

Might not be a bad thing today to have meatless days on occasion.


3 comments:

  1. My grandparents had a victory garden. It was an entire empty lot next to their house. It feed the family as well as plenty to can and freeze. I learned to garden from them. My favorite memories are watching my grandfather work and harvest fresh veggies. I still plant the icicle radishes that were his favorite. We have raised beds this year and I hope the weather cooperates this year. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great story!! Sigh, an entire empty lot, that must have been impressive. Wouldn't it be nice if every neighborhood could have one of those every few blocks? I wish Victory gardens would make a come back of sorts. Thank you for the kind words, you are very sweet. Please come back and visit soon!

      Delete
  2. I love this! You might like this post from the University of California Food Observer...what a World War 1 poster can teach us about food waste. @ucfoodobserver also @victorygrower

    http://ucfoodobserver.com/2015/04/22/what-a-world-war-1-poster-can-teach-us-about-food-waste/

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!