Sunday, November 8, 2015

CORN EVERY MEAL, VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY

Most every Sunday, we try to post an image of old posters that we find during online surfing.  We enjoy the ones that reflect farming, gardening and/or food preservation and rationing.  We enjoy them because we often wonder if anyone today would heed the kind of advice they gave back then...enjoy!

Corn at Every Meal, vintage poster image courtesy of Wikicommons
This poster image is from WWI.  It's purpose was to remind people how healthy and nutritious corn products were.  The reason is that during the war, regular items like sugar, flour, oil, etc were being pushed to the troops who were fighting overseas.  This meant there was a shortage back in the states, so people used corn as the 'at home' replacement.  Serve some way at every meal!

Unfortunately, in many cases today, corn IS served in some way at every meal...high fructose corn syrup!

Hope you are having a good weekend...we're finally back to a clear day, and pretty cool, but the farm is definitely waterlogged.  Open house again later today.  We are so ready to sell and move on to the next phase of our life (the apartment) so that we can finish things at the farm.  These weekends are interfering with plans at the farm.  Send some good "sale" vibes!

More later this afternoon/evening!


16 comments:

  1. yep, corn is everywhere! I h8 HFCS!

    hope all y'all dry out soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and so much now is GMO which is no good for sure. I do love cornmeal related food of course...

      Delete
  2. I love hoe cakes so this is not bad advice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't say that I've ever had a hoe cake, might have to tell 2nd Man to look up some recipes for that. Thanks!!

      Delete
  3. I love cornbread - on a cold winter day with soup, mmm!
    Hope the house showing goes well and that you have a sale soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornbread is SO good...love it on a cold day with soup, stew, etc. Yum!!! Thanks, we need to get the house sold. We need to equity to start doing more things at the farm. At least the apartment won't require yard work there too, like the house did, ha.

      Delete
  4. I love cornbread and hoe cakes, but hate GMO corn which has saturated the corn market

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it has definitely become more invasive in our corn products. I'm glad more and more companies identify NON GMO.

      Delete
  5. OMG I didn't know you were moving to the farm already. Good news. It is crazy that only a few years ago, Texas lakes dried up and it lost a hundred million trees due to drought. Such is life. Farm life too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, dang, sorry no move yet. I realized the way that was written made it sound like that. I edited it, ha. I was thinking everyone had seen the other post about moving but I realize people miss posts heaven knows I do on other blogs, LOL. We're moving from the house to an apartment in downtown Houston. Downsizing,, getting out the equity of the house so we have money to do things at the farm, and most of all, no other yard to take care of. We'll probably stay at the apartment a few years, it's our last stop before the farm. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. Good luck with the open house.
    Pretty certain that we are too selfish (on the whole) now to limit ourselves. Can you imagine the outcry if rationing was introduced? Which is sad and bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, you are right, I wonder when I see these how many would adhere to rules like that. I can only think of how many would be saying the government has no right to tell us what to do, etc....sad but true.

      Delete
  7. I believe all corn is GMO now. I could be wrong. I barely like corn bread and detest hominy and grits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few brands that do claim to be GMO free but I wonder. I do love grits, and corn bread for sure.

      Delete
  8. I miss corn a lot. Hardly ever eat it or cook with it anymore, as I think it is one of the most tampered-with ag products. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, that is probably true. Kinda scary too huh?

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!