Wednesday, April 26, 2023

LOST THE FIG TREE

 Well, we lost the fig tree.

We were hoping it would come back or was just slow, so the other day I was going to bend a small branch to see if it was still green inside and the whole thing snapped in half.  It was that fragile.

I reached down to wiggle it and oops, it snapped off at the base!  I guess that means it's DEAD dead.

Not sure what happened, the only thing we can think is the freeze.  Figs are generally freeze tolerant but we're guessing that is "when established" and I should have covered this one.  Lesson learned.

This one was a "Brown Turkey" fig.  According to our county's extension office, the three best varieties for us are "Alma", "Celeste" and "Texas Everbearing" so it seems we need to look for one of these and maybe it will do better next time around.

One good thing is, there are plenty of fig trees right now all over Houston in garden centers...


8 comments:

  1. Too bad about the fig tree, but at least you can get a new one easily. I love figs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should have no problem replacing the fig ... in fact, grab 2 or 3 when you find them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i had figs for years and just loved them but one year they all died. we got new ones and buried them in winter and they died too. i gave up. i was looking at one in a nursery last weekend and might try again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had a Brown Turkey fig tree in a pot left out over winter in zone 5 Iowa (ooops!) and even though it died back to the soil, it finally came back from the roots. A few years later I goofed up again, and it died back again and didn't come back.
    Sorry you lost your tree, fresh figs are awesome. I wish they weren't so fragile so they could be more readily found in stores in the north.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! that sucks. on with the next.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I’m so sorry that your fig tree did not survive. I had various fruit trees that survived that bad freeze last winter but I guess they were very weakened by it and the big freeze this winter finished the damage and they died.
    Brown Turkey is a very old variety in this area of Texas. They grow big, are very sweet, and very prolific. It’s the one you’ll find on old homesteads. My grandma had one that lived for over 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear that your fig tree had died. I think once they really get established good; after the 3rd year of planting they do better.
    Best of luck on your new one.
    Enjoy your day and have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is warm enough here that we can figure out exactly what we lost during the weird winter freeze. More than we would have liked to, but less than we originally thought were gone.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!