Monday, August 25, 2014

HARVEST MONDAY AUGUST 25 2014

Every Monday, Daphne's Dandelions hosts "Harvest Monday" where bloggers can post their harvests.  Click her link above to see what others are harvesting and see below for what we harvested recently:


These are the last of what we harvested before I pulled up the garden plants for peak Summer heat.  I thought I had posted this but I realize I didn't.  Since it still counts toward our year to date totals, I'll post it now*

(*and I decided to do it with a different kind of photo, ha)

JalapeƱos are now done, they did really well considering we just had one plant.  Next Spring, a couple of plants at least.  There were ten six (garden snacking, don't judge, ha) cherry tomatoes and they were so good.  Still, they didn't do as well as we had hoped.  Might be too late of a start and the heat got them before they really started.  Same for the tomatoes, these are Homestead 24's, they did the best in our heat.  Will try them again next year.

Also harvested some herbs, but no picture of them, standard basil, chives, oregano and thyme.

Vegetable harvest:  2 lb 10 oz
Herb harvest:       15 oz
_________________________________

Total harvest YTD:  15 lb 12 oz

Happy Harvesting!

P.S. For those who missed it, look at yesterday's post for a weekend update.  Hope you had a nice weekend!


14 comments:

  1. my jalapenos are just taking off now. they were so slow earlier. i am getting tons of tomatoes and my okra is just starting to produce. it has been a weird vegetable year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am SO doing okra next year. Definitely a weird veggie year, seems everyone is saying that. Speaking of okra, I can't wait to see some of your awesome recipes using okra.

      Delete
  2. Good harvest for our hot and dry August! Yeah, I know about that 'garden snacking' - they are irresistible when they're just picked!
    My jalapenos are hanging on with a bit of watering. I'm really looking forward to the end of September when I can plant my fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it's the last for this month for sure, ha. A warm sweet cherry tom fresh off the vine is awesome. You know, my grandfather used to carry a small bottle of salt around in his pocket for that very purpose. Too funny!

      Thinking of what I might want to try for end of September. I'll just buy plants already started, there is a feed store nearby (in town) that has all sorts of heirloom and non gmo plants. Just need to figure out how much I want to do. First I need it COOLER to start cleaning up the beds and getting them ready, ha.

      Delete
  3. I love how they're all lined up in a row! My jalapenos are just now getting with it. The serranos were much quicker to set on, but they're also almost too hot for my tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I put them on there while I was looking for a basket and then I glanced and it and thought "there might be a picture in this". Ha. Haven't tried serranos yet but might. Do like those. I think I might try poblanos next year. LOVE those. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful tomatoes and jalapenos - When I look at that photo, all I can see is the makings of an out of this world salsa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely a salsa recipe there huh? Might just have to see what we can come up with for that.

      Delete
  5. Does it count that I dug up almost two and a half pounds of sweet potatoes the other day? Lol. I'm in South Florida. Our planting/growing season doesn't really start until next month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that definitely counts!! And I'm jealous!! We LOVE sweet potatoes. Next month is your season? Well that's a good time of year for sure. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  6. I would think summer would be the down season for you with all the heat. It is amazing anything can grow there at that time. Well maybe okra. Lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's just so hot and humid it's not good for veggies OR the people tending to them, ha. Okra is definitely on the list for next year. thanks about the photo, I was hoping it would come out nicely and I think it did. Thanks again and as always, thanks for hosting the harvest monday's!

      Delete
  7. What a lovely photo and what beautiful veggies. Due to two deaths in my family there was no garden this year, but I've shared in the bounty of others. Thanks for sharing and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well first, i'm SO sorry about the passings in your family. Totally understandable reason to not have time to devote to a garden. But hey, sharing through others is what it's all about too huh? Thanks stopping by! Nice to "see" you here!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!