Friday, November 3, 2023

DAY OF THE DEAD 2023

Dia de los Muertos...Day of the Dead.  We always like to continue this tradition.  It's a major holiday in Hispanic culture and becoming bigger and bigger here in Texas in general.  It's a day to remember those who have passed (both two legged and four).  You set up an "offrenda" where you put candies and food and things your loved ones enjoyed.  Families even get together at cemeteries to eat and reminisce.

I set this up with some of the Day of the Dead decorations we have.  I think I enjoy this as much or maybe more, than Halloween.

On another table, we had some pictures of our parents and our kitties, interspersed with more decor.  On this one though, I put some things for us to enjoy and the two wrapped packages were gifts for 2nd Man.

Found some garland that has wonderful marigolds all along it, the official flower of Day of the Dead.  Side note, marigolds are sort of the flower of Dia de Los Muertos because it is believed their distinct smell, when paired with a candle, allows the souls of the departed to return for a brief period of time and enjoy the pleasures of life once more.  That's kind of an interesting backstory to that.

Here is what I got 2nd Man...well, for both of us, some candy, because, well, we didn't Trick or Treat, so we have to have our own candy, right?

Found these chocolate coins and thought they would be perfect scattered around.  They are REALLY good, ha.

Then I got these...M&Ms partnered with HEB to have a special edition of Peanut M&Ms. They are in custom designed bags and the only colors inside are yellow, orange and a special purple color.


I found these online...they are papier-mache and filled with gummy candies (we left a few inside so you could see them).  The gummies are from Spain and the ball was made in Germany.  I wanted these because the plan next year is to fill them with favorite candies.

And then the two gifts I got him:


The official cookbook from the Disney PIXAR film Coco.  The book had great reviews with some really nice recipes inside.  Then a Lodge, cast iron comal (flat, round griddle pan) that has a Day of the Dead design on the bottom.  Every year, they come out with a new piece and since you can never go wrong with Lodge, I figured we needed to keep the tradition going.

And speaking of tradition:


We end the evening by watching the wonderful movie Coco.  We do that once a year at this time.
So much fun, and so touching...

11 comments:

  1. This is a wonderful celebration to remember and honor our deceased loved ones. You found so many great items with the Dia de los Muertos theme. I love the skillet you got for 2nd Man.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, we've gotten most of these decorations over the last few years and I still have two more boxes full ha. Yes, last year they had a skillet and this year it was comal (kind of a flat griddle).

      Delete
  2. I think you guys are just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is from EmmaH. I forgot how to identify my comment!

      Delete
    2. You are too sweet! Thank you, that means a lot.

      Delete
  3. Nice arrangement along with nice variety of items.
    Cool skillet. Maybe someday they will come out with a waffle iron with same or similar pattern.
    Have a woo9nderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They come out with something every year (well, this is the third year, ha).We have the other two items (just realized we never put up a picture last year, might have to get a photo of all of them together).

      Delete
  4. I love that you celebrated The Day of the Dead. I have been accumulating a few decorations for us to do the same__next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just such a nice thing and it's so colorful and vibrant and different from scary Halloween. :-)

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful way of remembering. In our Italian, Canadian, Catholic tradition we celebrate All Souls’ Day in a more solemn way but I think our departed would rather want to us to celebrate and remember with joyful festivities and of course food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All Souls Day is very similar. I never thought about that. And yes, more somber. We love the vibrancy and happiness of Day of the Dead. But in the end, remembering our loved ones is all that matters. :-)

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!