Monday, August 29, 2016

CANNING PEACH JAM WITHOUT PECTIN

It's time for more jam! We loved the way the blueberry jam came out, simple and allowing the full flavor of the fruit to come out in the end product.  Things became so much easier when I found this great three ingredient recipe over at The Yummy Life.  At HEB (grocery store chain) they had fresh from Texas peaches, and so we thought it was time for some peach jam.

Peach Jam without Pectin
This is 10 cups of pitted, chopped peaches.  No peeling, they cook long enough that the skins just become one with the jam.  Five cups of sugar and the juice and zest of one large lemon...


 I put everything in my jam pan and turned it on...


...stir and heat to boiling...


It will foam, this is normal...just keep working through it....

Mashing peaches
At the foaming point, I started mashing the fruit with the potato masher.  It's really just whatever you like.  We like love our jam to be chunky...

Peaches cooking for jam
It's bubbling and thick so it was almost ready.

Canning
I got the jars and my prepping area ready to go...the water was already boiling in the water bath canner...



One last check, it was dark and thick and passed the freezer plate test.  I put a plate in the freezer, put a tsp of jam on it, placed it back in the freezer for a minute or so and then checked to see if it ran when I tilted it.  You can also do this with the back of a spoon.  If it didn't run or ran very slowly, it was ready. 

It was ready!
Canning Peach Jam
I ladled it into the waiting, sterilized jars, lids and rings...

Peach Jam no pectin
I boiled them for 15 minutes, took the pan off the heat and let it sit for another 5 minutes and then removed them to a waiting towel for cooling.  This batch made eight, 1/2 pint jars.  

Homemade Peach Jam on English Muffins
Once again, it was so good on muffins!  And to think about having the taste of "Summer" in the middle of Winter will be wonderful.  We always have English muffins on hand but if not, 2nd Man can whip up a loaf or two of fresh bread.  So now our grand total is 15 jars (1/2 pints) of jam.

That canning bug has bitten!

DISCLAIMER:

PLEASE NOTE:  You are responsible to know and understand the current canning and processing recommendations for safety.  Canning is fun but you MUST follow guidelines to make sure you are doing it safely. I had to learn (and still am) so do your research on safe canning techniques.

 A great link to official information is http://nchfp.uga.edu/ and 
of course, the literal bible of home canning information, the Ball Website.


25 comments:

  1. Yuppers. The canning bug has bitten for sure :}
    YUM! YUM!
    I canned 3 pints of Candied Jalapeno's early this morning. ( I used pints this time instead of the 1/2 pints)
    Done and out of the canner by 4am.
    Happy Canning.
    Oh, Friday I planted a few Asparagus pole beans so hopefully will have a nice Fall crop. If so, will leave some on the vine to dry to get seeds for next Spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep it has! OK, 4am? You were FINISHED? What time on Earth did you start? Ha.

      Yay for you on planting, I need to get planning. Thanks!!

      Delete
    2. Was up between 1:30 - 2:00am
      To saved time, I done all my prep work the night before; slicing my peppers, getting the brine ready, sugar measured, jars washed (just had to sterilize them while making the brine going)all my canning equipment out so everything was ready to go.
      Couldn't sleep so was up early to finish early

      Delete
    3. God bless you, you are a production machine! A one woman production machine!

      Delete
  2. The canning bug is a wonderful/terrible syndrome! Enjoy the fruits (literally) of your labor. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, I hear ya. I can see it becoming an obsession and a time consumer, ha. But I do love that phrase, the fruit of your labor. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. I don't can anymore...I do miss that popping sound when they are sealed. Sometimes a bit startling too. Nothing better than homemade jams, my favorite was always orange marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh i love the sound. We were watching tv and I enjoy hearing it and going "there's another!". I haven't tried a marmalade and 2nd Man is asking about that. So I need to find a good recipe.

      Delete
  4. You are such a tease! My mouth is watering for those muffins and jam! I never use the skin because peaches are a "dirty" fruit. I just don't need to store any pesticides. Dropping peaches into boiling and then icy water eliminates the need to peel.

    Canning in small batches like you do is the least painful way to can. My mother would have canned several bushels in one day with no ac. Not me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thank you. Well, these were sold as organic, which I hope to trust them with, ha. But yes, I like the small batch canning right now. Thank you!

      Delete
  5. That looks so delicious! And such an easy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very easy. And the taste is SO Summer (peaches are awesome, gotta get a peach tree, or two, in the ground at the farm.

      Delete
  6. Color of the dish attracts me to have a bite of it.The cans too looks cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that! It does have a pretty look to it, a nice color.

      Delete
  7. I think I'll join Donna, just say when!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, you know you're always welcome. Now fitting our schedules, well we'll have to work on that, ha.

      Delete
  8. Awesome post and great information....by the way our Amish neighbor gave us a box of the last peaches from their trees!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome post and great information....by the way our Amish neighbor gave us a box of the last peaches from their trees!

    ReplyDelete
  10. INSTEAD OF THE 15 MIN BATH PROCESS, CAN PEACH JAM BE COOKED TO 220 or so DEGREES WHILE STIRRING AND JUST POUR INTO HOT STERILE JARS AND SEAL. Then that satisfying POP,POP,Pop. That is how I do marmalade. Curious.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!