Sunday, August 21, 2016

PUT YOUR MUSCLE, VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY

Most every Sunday, we try to post an image of old posters that we find during online surfing.  We enjoy the ones that reflect farming, gardening and/or food preservation and rationing.  We enjoy them because we often wonder if anyone today would heed the kind of advice they gave back then...enjoy!

Sign Up For a Farm Job, vintage poster image courtesy of US National Archives, public domain
During WWII, a large number of men were off to serve in the war.  That left a shortage in farm labor to deal with the fields of food and orchards, but the food still needed to get to the public.  So posters like these were put up to urge men, usually young men, to sign up and help out on farms.

I wonder if a poster like this would get today's young people to sign up for a farm job?  For some, they might ask if there was a Starbuck's nearby...or a Pokestop...LOL!

Hope you are having a good day, we are back to rain today so I'm canning and 2nd Man is baking.  It will be a good day!

10 comments:

  1. oh my, young farm boyz...

    you will have to show us your baking/canning efforts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt kids today would see the poster because their necks are bent, looking at their phones. Besides, it is not an air-conditioned setting for work.

    Your house must smell really nice about now. You must be making jelly or jam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that. And yes the house smelled WONDERFUL!

      Delete
  3. I think P. Parsimony is right about most kids now being consumed with other things in air-conditioned environments.
    But in my rural area, there are still kids around here who do farm work - but they also have all kinds of machinery to make their work easier. I used to help my Dad in the rice field by driving a tractor with an auger cart during the summer harvest - and I loved every minute of it!

    I can't wait to see what goodies you and 2nd Man have made today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A/C would be a deterrent for sure. I never thought about it though, there are plenty of new machines to make it easier. Still hard work but maybe makes it a bit more enticing to this generation.

      Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. Wouldn't it be nice if we spent as much time and money promoting peace? And no, I am pretty certain that the poster featured today wouldn't convince anyone to take on farming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, 2nd Man and I were just talking about that. Can you imagine a worldwide peace initiative? I often wonder what it would take to bring the planet together, IF anything....?

      Delete
  5. I, being addicted, would agree with you about Starbucks. These days we wouldn't have posters, we'd put it on Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, etc. I'm not sure what response we'd get but working in a domestic violence shelter has shown me that the teenagers of today would pitch in and help. Some would be reluctant but others would be eager and capable. It has given me hope for the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, now that definitely gives us hope for the future. I think deep down, young people, a lot of them, would help if they could. I'm hearing great stories coming out of Louisiana. Sad that it takes a disaster (or some tragedy) to bring that out but we know it's in there somewhere and just needs a way out, right??

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!