Monday, August 15, 2016

JAM PAN AND CANNER

2nd Man bought me the coolest gifts for our anniversary (see yesterday's post).  He knows I want to get more into canning in preparation for our eventual retirement and putting up food for ourselves and said I needed better tools. 

Kilner Jam Pan
 Since we'll have plenty of fruit trees, and an acre or two of dewberries, there will be lots of jellies, jams and pie fillings in our future.  So he bought this for me!  It's the Kilner Stainless Steel Jam Pan, 8.5-Quart  (he doesn't mind that I link to Amazon, he knows I'll do that for interested people).  

Jam Pan from Kilner
It is indeed a thing of beauty.  A heavy bottom pan which is great for even heating, it's got a built in pouring lip around the edge , a handle for carrying, and markings inside that show the amount of product you have inside and how that translates to how many jars you might need.

Victorio Multi-Use Canner 
And then he found this. It's the VICTORIO Stainless Steel Multi-Use Canner.  It can be used for either water-bath canning or steam canning.  


It will hold 8 pints or 7 quarts (and of course half pints and the other odd shaped jars).  There is a temperature gauge (with different altitudes) on the lid which makes it nice to be able to know when it's reached the temperature to start timing.  It also has a super clear glass for looking inside to keep an eye on things and of course a rack that also hooks onto the sides for holding those jars of goodness before or after putting them in.

  Let the canning begin!  
(or has it already?  Stay tuned, ha!)

27 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful! 2nd man knows how to shop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, he is good at it sometimes...ha. And he would admit that.

      Delete
  2. Congrats to both of you for yesterday - here's to many, many more happy ones 😀

    Looks like you're all set to get canning - life will never be the same again...bwahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Oh, I have bitten by the canning bug. More to come about that!

      Delete
  3. What a Great shopper you are 2nd man. Something that will get lots of use in years and years to come.
    Such a great gift but I haven't seen anything like it. That jam pan is Totally Awesome.
    Looking forward into seeing your first canning project.

    Been having a very nice, gently shower of rain since the early morning hours and still raining

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kilner has wonderful web site with great recipes, craft projects, etc.
      http://www.kilnerjar.co.uk/recipes

      Delete
    2. Thanks, he will read this too. Yep, a jam pan, who knew? Ha. We had some nice rains but tomorrow could be flooding, ugh.

      Delete
    3. I hadn't even been to the Kilner website yet, totally forgot. Thanks for the link!

      Delete
  4. Love Kilner brand jars, etc. but pretty pricey. Nice gift. Used to get them at Williams Sonoma, but I think I saw them in Target not long ago. Still high at Target.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the jars are pricey for sure, I was just looking online. I haven't seen them at Target, I'll have to look and see. But I think I'm ok with Ball, ha.

      Delete
  5. What beautiful canning equipment! I have canning-equipment envy - I am still using my 30-year-old blue enamel canner. 2nd Man did good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Hey, since we didn't have any, I guess this will have to do for our next 30 years, ha.

      Delete
    2. Old-enamel canner; same as I use. In fact, I have 3 different sizes of the blue canners.
      The smaller one didn't have the rack inside but I did find a small, round cooling rack that fit perfectly inside.

      Delete
  6. ha! i have canning envy too. i am heading to lehman's this weekend so who knows what i will be bringing back! good job second man! you are a good husband....mine could take some tips from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, now I have LEHMAN'S envy!!! What I wouldn't give to go to one of those stores. I'll make sure 2nd Man reads the comments, ha. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  7. Those are way cool gifts. I keep thinking about making jam, but it never goes beyond thinking. Besides, I don't have fruit trees or a garden or anything. Excuses, excuses.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always talked about it, I did one batch a couple season or two ago but didn't have the right tools. It was fun but needed to be easier. This is making it feel easier. Stay tuned maybe I will inspire you to try!! :-)

      Delete
  8. Oh man 1st man, Now I have serious jam pan envy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, everyone loves the jam pan. I guess he made a wise choice, ha. Thank you!

      Delete
  9. What a wonderful thing to give to you! Now I am curious about his gift from you. I live in anticipation of berry goodness...and fruit goodness. 2nd Man you are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Fruity goodness coming soon! I got 2nd Man a new Le Creuset pan that he has been wanting for ages. He mentioned it last year, forgot about it, but I remembered and got it. Hey, at this point in life we go for practical and functional, ha.

      Delete
  10. I've been looking for one of these. I used a new pectin this year for low sugar jams and for the first time I burned the bottom of one of my pots. It was recommended that I use a jam pot. Hope you use it soon and let us know how it works!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! They have a VERY very, thick bottom, made specifically for jams so burning should be a remote chance. I'll let you in on a secret, already used it! WONDERFUL! I'll have a post up Monday.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!