Friday, August 13, 2021

TEAK STOOL FOR THE GARDEN TRASH TO TREASURE

 Regular readers know that I have a favorite place to look for bargains...our downstairs trash area!  Our building has trash chutes on every floor and they feed into a separate room, but for boxes and other things that people can't put in the chute, there is an area (indoor) near the loading dock where people can put the things they don't want.  I've found quite a few cool items over the last few years.

Here is one of the latest!

Found this!  A teak (perhaps?) stool.  We were thinking it was one of those shower stools though most of those have slots in the top so that water flows through and this doesn't.  We also saw some Asian style stools for use either on a patio or indoors as a furniture item.  

This doesn't show signs of ever having water on it.  Not even 100% sure it's teak but whatever it is, it is heavy.

It's got a great design to it.  2nd Man said "what are we going to do with that?  It doesn't match our furniture or style inside."  My immediate thought was a stool in the garden.  I am always looking for something to use that is small and can let me sit beside a raised bed (even in the orchard) and pull weeds or work in the soil.  It's a bit heavy to carry from the garden to the orchard so maybe I'll just leave it in one place.  If it is teak, it will be fine to be outside though I probably need to coat it with something.  


Best of all, this is one of those finds that we can put to use right away...and here it is, being used when I was pulling weeds in the garden.  It's actually pretty comfortable and very sturdy.  Doesn't feel like it will fall apart and it's not rickety.  It worked perfectly!

Someone else was throwing it away, it will have a long life now at the farm.


9 comments:

  1. That is Awesome.
    I can bet that it is a Teak stool; normally called a shower stool and they are not cheap. You have about a $200.00 stool there; ( give or take a few dollars ) Great treasure you have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have to wonder why someone didn't try to sell that instead of discarding it. Do the neighbors in your building know that you guys regularly check that area for discards? Gardener's Supply sells a stool that I had for years to sit to pull weeds. It's reversible so you can kneel on it to. It would be a lot lighter than what you have. Maybe use it as a footstool on the porch?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great find! Take it to a place that sells high end wood and ask. That looks like a handy item to have when pulling weeds. Over the years and as I aged, I put chairs, benches, and swings all over my yard to sit and work or rest a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Bargain Hunt area come through again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dang, you are one lucky dude! Love that stool!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a wonderful find! It will be perfect for working in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a neighbor who has a similar stool. She uses it when she works in her flowerbeds. The one you found is beautiful.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. I frequently use a stool in the garden. Its getting harder and harder to get down on my knees, although once I'm down I'm OK. I just have a home made camp stool but now you have me thinking of finding a permanent garden stool!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!