Monday, August 30, 2021

NOT AS BAD AND A SURPRISE HARVEST

Look a cool down!


Yeah OK so not THAT cool.  The feels like was 107 instead of 110, ha.  But it was a bit overcast and there was a cool(ish) breeze.  I did have to mow, was hoping it wouldn't be too bad and it wasn't terrible but it still needed to be done.


Only an hour and sixteen minutes so not too bad.  A bit less than normal (but I skipped a few areas).  Baby steps to get it back under control.

This time, I mowed with the mower deck down like normal but the blades at 3.5" height.  It worked well.

The driveway is looking much better.

I took a break, watered the fruit trees and then tackled the garden...
 

I forgot a before but suffice to say it was a mess.  I got everything pulled up and all the grass pulled up, turned the soil and got the cardboard covering it.  I added more bricks after this picture was taken.  This is the 4x8 bed where the two eggplants, the jalapeƱo and basil were.  I pulled them all up but not before they gifted us with a surprise:


A final harvest!  One nice eggplant and a couple of jalapeƱos.  One was green and the other was starting to turn reddish so I must have missed that one last week.  Definitely over for this season.

It wasn't too bad and I got a few things accomplished.

But I still didn't fix that gate...


6 comments:

  1. You have the garden headed in the opposite direction, a happy feeling. What height do you usually set the blades?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you did just fine, stay cool and safe, that's what's important. Janie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a relief to start getting everything under control! Is that gate going anywhere? No! It will still be there when the weather cools a bit [or, hopefully, a lot] and then you can get it fixed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice to have a surprise harvest! That happened to me too when I was harvesting my garlic, I saw a bunch of potato plants that I'd planted the summer before! :) Can't wait to see how they did!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You got a lot done! And you found more produce from your garden! I’d say you had a productive day at the Farm.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The weather here is the Midwest (SW Ohio) has been terrible until the last few days, when you can actually walk outside and breathe instead of feeling like you are trapped in a sauna. We have had high 80-90's with the real feel of up to triple digits and unbearable humidity (80-90%) for most of the summer. Our garden was awful this year, we basically had cucumbers with a handful of tomatoes and peppers. So not much canning for me this year. Womp, womp. The garden and garden beds were absolutely over run with weeds. I didn't have the fortitude to deal with it, so I just let everything go. Some years that is just how it is. Now that the weather is cooling off, I will clean everything up. We are actually tearing out some of the raised beds and going smaller to make it more manageable for us, since we aren't getting any younger, haha

    We are re-working and combining the raised beds to make them deeper for easier accessibility. As for the big bed, I am going to let all the plants dry, we are going to burn the plant debris, then work the ashes into the soil with manure and compost and cover it with straw. Hopefully a nice long snooze over winter and the bed will be re-enriched and perform better next year. At least that's the plan!

    And don't fret about your gate, it will still be there.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!