Monday, August 9, 2021

ANOTHER ONE DOWN AND THREE TO GO

Well, to my surprise, when I got to the farm, there was standing water everywhere.  Turns out a "pop up" line of thunderstorms Friday afternoon/evening dropped almost an inch of rain!  Of course being late in the day/early evening meant it hadn't had time to dry up in the heat of the day.

SO...there was no mowing this weekend.  Sigh.

On to plan B.


Item two on my list of course was the garden.  So I tackled another raised bed that was literally taken over by grass.  The weird thing is the first bed I cleaned out last weekend was no grass and tall weeds while this one was crazy tall grass.  Much harder to pull up.  I took some scissors and after pulling up what I could, I cut them down to soil level.


Here's the pile about halfway through it.
What a mess...


...but when it was done, it looked SO much better.  All I had left to do was turn the soil with the shovel, smoothed it out and then cover it up.


Regular readers know we have an area downstairs in the building where we find cool items but that's not all it's good for.  As a building of several hundred units, there are ALWAYS boxes and packing material of all shapes and sizes available.  Literally, we've been able to find any size box we could ever need.  In this case I needed something that would cover up one of the beds and I snagged this one.  I cut it in half and...


...voila!  It covered it up perfectly.  We always have some bricks laying around and so I covered this bed and called the garden a day as the heat was just getting to be too much...


...here it is when I finished and decided to call it a day.  97 with a feels like of 110.  It didn't help that the sky looked like this...


...and indeed, when I got to the highway to head back into town, it started pouring rain.

At least I got another raised bed cleaned up.  Hopefully next weekend I can knock out two more (the rest aren't nearly as bad as the first two were).  It will also mean pulling up the veggies because they are done (the next post will show our final harvest of the season).

That's Summer in these parts.
Hot.  Humid.  Chance of thunderstorms.

That's why we do as little as possible outside.


3 comments:

  1. Great job on the garden bed clean up. It’s just toooo hot to do very much in the “dog days” of August. The cardboard covers will really help in keeping them clean.
    What a disappointment that you couldn’t mow due to the wet ground. I got 2.5 inches a few days ago and I still have standing water.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only thing a person can do is do what you can do in this heat but thus far, Everything is looking good.
    Nice that you are making good use of the cardboard that people discard. It sure does come in handy when needed.
    Stay cool, stay safe and have a wonderful & enjoyable evening

    When I have to pull weeds, etc. I never check to see how much I have to do yet; but I look and see what I had accomplished which is a good feeling on just how much I had gotten done in short period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Texas weather forecast for July to September: Partly cloudy, hot and humid with a slight chance of afternoon and evening thunderstorms. No need to watch the weather report. On the plus side, our stock tanks are full, and the lawn and pastures are greener than I can remember in August.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!