Friday, December 10, 2021

GLASS CONTAINERS TRASH TO TREASURE

 Regular readers know that I have a favorite place to look for bargains...our downstairs trash area!  Our building has trash chutes on every floor and they feed into a separate room, but for boxes and other things that people can't put in the chute, there is an area (indoor) near the loading dock where people can put the things they don't want.  I've found quite a few cool items over the last few years.

Here is one of the latest!


Another mystery box found in the recycling area downstairs.  Well it was a mystery when I found it and and when I saw what was inside, I brought them back up to the apartment.


This seemingly random assortment of glass containers and lids/trays?  We took them all out and sorted through them and even though they didn't look like they had ever been used, we ran the glass portions through the dishwasher and washed the tops by hand.

Here's what we had found:


An entire set of Ikea storage containers!  They are oven/freezer safe glass and bamboo lids with rubber gaskets for sealing.  There were two each of six different shapes and sizes.  The lids can be used as trivets to place the glass containers on.  We checked the prices on the Ikea website and they start at $4.99 for the small round ones and go up to $8.99 for the larger ones.  So this entire set would easily be $100.


The only thing wrong with the set was this one that is missing it's lid (a trip to Ikea will soon remedy that).

We just don't understand why someone would throw this all out but hey, who knows.
Ikea storage containers image via ikea.com/us

This image is from the Ikea website.  It shows all the sizes we now have.  We saw this and immediately thought of using them like this in our pantry.

Hey, someone didn't want it for whatever reason and so their changed mind is our lucky find!


15 comments:

  1. Now THAT is a really cool find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love all your trash to treasure finds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man ... You hit the jackpot with that one ... well, actually ... One of many! You do snag some of the best stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoy seeing all your trash to treasure finds. Those containers are really nice.
    You really lucked out in getting them.
    Was going to say, the one that doesn't have a lid, you can always stick a battery lit candle in it or use as a candy dish for Christmas or any holiday really or put some brightly colored ornaments, scented pine cones inside, etc.

    Just in case you didn't know about this, real candles are not good when you have indoor pets; cats or dogs, or any indoor pets. That is one of the first questions our vet asked us when our cat got sick; if we used lighted candles in the house. She stayed outside during the day and was in at night on our enclosed front porch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, our vet also mentioned any sort of air freshers is also NOT a good thing. Things like candles and air freshers effect their breathing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. whats going on in that building? haha! wow! what a find! i might have to get some of those for my new pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well you beat me on great finds! I went to Walmart and they had a 32 piece set of Anchor Hocking glass bowls with the rubbery lids, 2 baking pans, pie plate and measuring cup for $20. It's the best bargain I ever got at Walmart. Must be a Christmas special. Your set sure is pretty and I like that you can use the lids as hot pads. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You hit the jackpot with this one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what a wonderful find! You really lucked out! They will make great storage containers - and will be beautiful too.
    I have converted to using glass jars and containers for my storage and I really like seeing the different colors and textures plus I think it protects and preserves them better.
    Have fun with your awesome freebies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great score!! I love my Ikea set.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why oh why would someone dump those? Maybe they broke up with whoever gave them? Threw out by accident when unpacking from a move? Very strange what valuable things you find there in the trash but lucky for you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a find...I love seeing what things you come up with. If someone was moving away from your State and had to catch a plane with just a suitcase then big heavy glass jars wouldn't be ideal to pack. I'm sure they put them there hoping someone will find them and use them. Amazing find.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those would be nice out at the farm. Mouse and ant proof.

    ReplyDelete
  14. My gosh... I think I need to move into your building just for your mystery finds. ha! You scored big time on those storage bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you will have to "swing by" this location even after you move to the farm ... you seem to find the good stuff .... probably will still do so after you move out!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!