Monday, May 7, 2018

GARDEN IS GROWING WELL

It was a great weekend for gardening, nude and otherwise, ha (see yesterday's post).  I didn't need to mow but I did have to edge, which is taking longer now, so much to edge around.  


I will admit it's not my most favorite thing to do while I'm doing it (as opposed to my time on the Zen Machine) but it IS perhaps the most rewarding thing to see when it's done.  I edge around the house, the flowerbeds, the orchard (above), the garden fence, the barn and shed and when I have the energy, the fence line down the driveway.  I'm tired but when I stand back and look, it's just so neat and tidy.


We have fruit still growing nicely. These are a couple of the plums...


And a few pears too.  Also some peaches.  The only trees without fruit are the apple trees but it's still a bit early for them.  

I also pruned the dead branches off the citrus and we're going to just let them grow and see what happens this year.  I watered them well.  Maybe we'll get some citrus, maybe not but they've made it this far we might as well see how they do.


We have yellow squash. Quite a few actually. We like them just simply fried in a skillet with some butter, salt and pepper, but we hope to have enough for a nice yellow squash casserole too (side note, any recipes for that gladly accepted, ha!).


The pickling cucumbers are climbing the trellis.  I had to adjust one of them that was spreading more on the ground and so I put it upright onto the trellis.
We hope the tendrils latch on.  


The eggplants (regular and Asian) are getting very large and have blooms on them.

I forgot to get a picture of the pepper bed, but after they struggled a bit to get started, two are doing much better.  The banana pepper (which we've already harvested one pepper) has a couple new blooms and the jalapeño has two actual small peppers on it.  Unfortunately, the poblano died.  Not sure why but I'll just replace it this weekend with another pepper. Maybe another hot pepper variety.


This tomato has blooms all over it.  It is the "Celebrity" variety.  Growing a bit behind the other...


...which has large green tomatoes all over it!  This is the "Heatmaster" variety and it obviously liking the weather now that it's warmed up. 

The herbs are scattered around in various beds and of course, we can't kill herbs so they are doing great.

Hope your weekend was a good one!

14 comments:

  1. WOW! You're getting quite the green thumb. Everything looks Great and doing very well. Nothing like bringing home fresh produce from the Farm to the Fork. :}

    We had to mow our yard yesterday and done the weed eating this morning. Always a good job done. Fresh feeders put out for the hummingbirds and the bird feeders have also been filled & taken care of so will have happy birds once again. Had to replace 1 bird feeder which broke to pieces when it blew off the post hook due to the winds we had last week during the thunder storms but did receive 2 & 3/4 inches of rain.

    Enjoy your day and have a wonderful week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Farm to Fork, I like that. Sorry about your bird feeder that was some epic winds we had here too. Not as much rain though. Have a good week too!

      Delete
  2. I think edging makes edges look crisp and I like it. Your garden looks great. You are going to be having some early harvests. Will you plant a second summer garden or just move straight to a fall one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crisp is a good way to describe it. Thanks for the positive words, we'll get there hopefully. I haven't thought ahead to the possibilities of a second summer garden but I should probably be thinking about that. Maybe Okra and some other heat loving plants.

      Delete
  3. Better pick those squash wile they're small or you will have even more to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that. This is our first year with the yellow squash. Last year it was a zucchini plant that went crazy, ha. Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. I see you have planted your hot pepper in with the sweet. Don't be surprised to bite into a sweet and get a surprise! They will cross pollinate. Happened to me one year and I plant them separately now. I am so jealous of how much further along you are with your veggies. I am in Virginia and we have had a slow spring. Just now getting plants in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, I didn't know that. Well I do like sweet and spicy I wouldn't be opposed to that, ha. Thanks for the tip though. Will definitely take that into consideration. Hey, you'll be gardening way past us when we're in 100 degree temps so I'll be jealous of you too, ha.

      Delete
  5. My favorite...warning, not a healthy veggie dish.
    http://www.thedomesticcurator.com/2013/11/black-eyed-peas-baked-squash-casserole.html

    Garden looks great! I harvested a jalapeño and 2 cherry tomatoes for guacamole Saturday. And finally got garden faucet installed today so can hook up the soaker kit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I remember Black Eyed Pea's squash casserole!!! One of my favorites. Awesome!! Thanks. And yay for the soaker kit. If you got the one we use, the key is to make sure the hoses are pushed all the way in to the connectors and tightened well. We had a few pop loose. But now, knock on wood, all is going well.

      Delete
  6. Yall are Houston kids. Well, my fave since forever has always been Cleburne Cafeteria's baked squash casserole. The owner George M. refused to give me the recipe (harrumph!) but I found this online at pinterest.

    Don't know how authentic it is,(I've never made it) but the Cleburne's *is* slightly sweet & def. has the crackers in it, so this is the perfect opportunity for Second Man to try it out first on his in-house guinea pig & let the rest of us know how it turned out!

    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0a/73/7d/0a737d5b3d4464b9745e431c6a71d6f9.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!! I've heard of Cleburne's famous dishes, including squash casserole. This looks so yummy. Hey, we can have a taste test now, Cleburne's vs Black Eyed Pea's. ha!! Now we just need to get some squash. Thanks so much for sharing. Watch the blog, casserole is definitely on my list.

      Delete
  7. Wow, your garden is doing great! You're going to be cooking, baking, and canning very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to Mother Nature's ears! Ha.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!