Monday, February 7, 2022

FREEZE 2022 UPDATE

It was cold, for us anyway.

25 was the official low at the farm.


There was sleet and lots of ice but no snow that stayed around.  Of course we were worried about the pipes.  Here's what we alluded to in the post about prepping.

We share a well with 2nd Family.  That's because our house used to be their Mother's house and she sold to us when she moved to Florida.  Because we weren't out there full time, they never cared as we didn't use much water other than watering and it's "free" well water anyway.  We always offered to help with any repairs, electricity if needed, etc.  So our house had a separate shutoff valve for us at the well that let our house be turned off, that way we could drain the pipes and make sure they were empty.

Normally, that was that.  

However, they have had a new home put on their property (last Spring/Summer).  It's nice.  But because they still have their old house on the same property, the plumbers tied the new one into our line.  The other night, we sent a note to turn off our water and I'd come out and empty the pipes.  She replied and said "um, we can't now because our line is tied into yours, if we turn it off it turns off ours".

Oops!  I called "R" who has done some of the plumbing out there.  There was a valve at our end in the ground by the front faucet that turned off "some" parts of the water in the house.  Not sure why it's set up like that (years of patching) but it is what it is.  He said to shut that valve off and leave the water running from the faucets in a small, steady stream (not just drip drip).

So that's what I drove out during the work day to do.  I also turned on two oil filled radiator type portable heaters we have (like the ones above), putting one in the kitchen and the other one in the mudroom.


The bathroom is so small that I put up three of these hooded lamps with 150 watt bulbs (they were rated for that size) and pointed one at the water heater area, one at the sink and one toward the toilet.  With the two doors closed, it warmed up nicely in there.

I went back to work (in the high 70's!) and all we could do is cross our fingers and hope for the best.

The cold blast hit and by the next morning it was 30's and temperature dropping into the 20's at night and not getting above freezing for more than 24 hours.

I don't think either of us slept much, worrying about the house.  See, if the pipes were broken, they'd have to shut off their water so that our leak would stop but then we wouldn't have the luxury of just putting our repairs off (we don't need water out there right now), we'd have to get emergency repairs done so they could get their water back on. 


I drove out this weekend to check on things.

I got there and it was nice weather.  Still a bit on the cold side, mid to upper 40's.  It still "looks" like Winter in the yard.  I knelt down to look under the house where we can get a good view of the pipes.


As you can see in the picture above (this is a spot I can crawl into), the ground was bone dry.  There was no leaking.  Phew.  SUCH a relief.  I shut off the running water, unplugged the heaters and turned off the hooded lamps.  I must have looked under the house about five times before I left, just to make sure!

Next, I uncovered the plants on the porch...


...unfortunately there was one casualty.  One of the pineapples didn't make it.  Not sure why, I must have missed a gap that let some freezing air blow in.  The other one is fine.  The bananas are looking a bit rough but everyone has told us they sometimes die down to the ground and come right back.

We'll see how they do come Spring.


After all the worrying, I just sat on the porch and tried to unwind a bit.  It was cold in the shade but nice in the warmth of the sunshine.

Some of you may ask about us having our own well and yes, 100% we will do that.  That's part of what we'll do in getting a new house out there.  We even have the surveyed spot that it will go because it will be dug into the same aquifer that their well goes down into.


No more freezes in the 7 day forecast and we're back neat 70 by the end of the week.  We'll take that.

Dodged this bullet...hopefully next year at this time we'll have a regular house with protection for freezes.

12 comments:

  1. Not an expert but the core of your pineapple is still green so you only lost outer leaves - I'd keep it potted, you might be surprised. Rarely happens to me in central Florida but they have survived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that, it was a little mushy in the middle but after I laid it in the yard to take a picture I put it back into the pot, granted not "planted" per se but it should be ok to maybe try getting it in some soil this weekend. Thanks for this!

      Delete
  2. A new house sounds exciting. Have you got a plan for it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're working on some ideas right now. We are meeting with a contractor about a complete gut to the studs remodel with an addition. But depending on that cost, we're considering other options too. This is the year, barring some unforeseen complication.

      Delete
  3. From the looks and sound of it, your great planning ahead really worked out for you in keeping the pipes not freezing. Now, That's a Good thing.

    Like Cheryl had mentioned; repot that pineapple. It just may come back to life. It may take a bit longer but who knows, unless you give it a try. Go Fore It.
    Enjoy your evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did work out. We just want to get through this Winter, I think we're almost there. Yep, I'll try getting it trimmed up and back in the soil this weekend. Thanks!!

      Delete
  4. I am so glad that your preparations kept your pipes from freezing and without damage. And that most of your plants did also. I’m with the others about your pineapple – it may just be damaged and not dead. I would give it a chance.
    I had a nice surprise in my garden. There were a few lettuce plants that the cover did not reach and they survived beautifully even though it got down to 23.
    “R” gave you good advice about letting the water run at a slow stream – I did that too on the coldest nights. And I opened the cabinets under the bathroom and kitchen sinks to let more heat get in. There is still a chance of a light freeze here – 33 is the forecast low for tonight, so I’m leaving the covers on my plants and fruit trees for another night.
    I’m ready for Spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, yep, I made the stream as small as I could but still steady. And when I got there, it was still running at the same stream, hadn't slowed at all. The septic tank had water standing in the yard but since it's not used, it's not as gross as it sounds. Just extra water. It should drain away this week. Not freeze out there, I think 34 or 35 is the low, though I guess the wind can cause some plant issues but we'll see how it goes. Yay for your lettuce plants that's kinda cool! Stay warm!

      Delete
  5. a new house....that is exciting. building from scratch is so easy and you get exactly what you want. this is coming from the person that is tying to create a silk purse from a sows ear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would certainly consider having a plumber install a shut off valve to the main water supply where it enters your house. That way, if you have a problem, or want to replace a faucet or something, you can isolate your house for repairs without affecting the other users of the well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In all those things you have to do, when the cold comes, remember to keep cupboard doors open under sinks so pipes there don't freeze. The room heat will keep it warm enough even though not officially a heated space @ this time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might try placing hay or straw bales around the bottom of your house, that will give you a lot of insulation from the cold and wind going under your house. In Ohio we used hay to keep our pump house from freezing. The hay and a 100 watt bulb held the heat most of the winter.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!