Monday, February 28, 2022

COLD AND WET AND A NEW STORE TO EXPLORE

 Saturday was rainy.  Not heavy but just gloomy and cold and generally miserable.  Wet cold is always the worst.  The original plan was to use the Zen Machine (mower) over the last few weekends to clear some new areas before they pick it up to have its annual maintenance.  Well, it's rained every weekend for the last month, juuuuust enough to make mowing difficult. 

So we made the decision for me to head to the farm by myself Sunday when the skies were a little more clear and get the mower outside and ready to be picked up.

This shows how wet the grass was (dormant as it may be).  These are the impressions that it made as I drove it from the shed to the spot where I left it.

I parked it and covered it up with a plastic tarp and some rocks to weigh it down and keep it from blowing off.  There is no rain in the forecast so it should be fine but this will keep the bird poop off of it too, ha.  They are scheduled to pick it up Wednesday morning.


Here's a good example of how cold it is inside the house without heat.  At about 10am, it was 41 inside.  It's pretty cold.  Or course, if everything goes according to plan, this will be the last Winter to worry about it.

Since I didn't have much I could do out there between the wet and the cold, I went to a new (well, new to us) hardware store in a nearby town.  I figured it would be nice to explore a new place so we don't have to rely on the bigger box stores in Houston.  

This was a great store with all sorts of good stuff.  Every kind of tool you might need, cleaning supplies, lumber, gardening supplies, fencing, paint, etc.  The only thing they were lacking was a garden center but thankfully, Houston has SO many wonderful small and large places to find our plants.


One thing they had that I was pleasantly surprised to see was a large canning section.  I took this quick picture, lots of jars of different sizes and plenty of lids and rings and other processing supplies.

That was nice to see and learn of another place to get them when we need them.  Overall, it was a great store and an easy drive from the farm.  We won't have to fight the crowds in Houston all the time.


So here sits the Zen Machine waiting for its closeup.  Blades sharpened, filters changed, belts checked, greased and tightened, etc, and they even told me they'd clean and detail it.

We'll probably get it back just in time for the Spring rainy season, LOL.

12 comments:

  1. Good supply of canning jars but suggestion; you best pick up the jars while you can. I noticed WalMart & Tractor Supply had a good supply awhile back, but they are selling out. The shelves are getting slightly empty; I think due to the fact that some are buying them now for weddings, bridal showers, baby showers, etc. for decoration.
    Won't be long before mowing season will be here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point, that you. I think we have enough jars right now but the rings/lids are older. Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to pick some up for sure.

      Delete
  2. I do love a good independent hardware store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! And yes, aren't they great? And you feel so much better shopping there to support.

      Delete
  3. That was great to find a good hardware store nearby. Especially with that good canning section. I’ll echo Colleen’s suggestion to get your canning supplies now. There will be a run on them during canning season.
    The Zen Machine is going to appreciate getting all clean and snazzy!
    My local plant nursery guy gave me a call that he received some little tomato and pepper plants, so I’m going to pick up some tomorrow. Hoping we have seen the last of winter! 🌻🌻🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's a great "find", ha. It's been there for years but we never thought to go explore. Now we have a new place that's less traffic and less crazy busy. Yay for new plants. That should be fun, the time is coming. I think KNOCK ON WOOD, our Winter is on the way out.

      Delete
  4. Now is the time to buy canning supplies! I stocked up on lids a few months ago. Whenever I am at a store I look, and I haven't seen a single lid since Covid hit. Then one day... there they were! And even though it was Christmas not canning season, I picked up a couple boxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for getting supplies now. Thanks too and yep, lids was what I was thinking I needed. Now you've got me making a run soon, ha. Great idea!!

      Delete
  5. So something is in the offing for next winter. When is the big reveal of your plans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, nothing is official yet, we're still waiting on another contractor but we're making plans. We'll see how it progresses. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  6. Wed. March 2nd. ; Texas Independence Day today

    ReplyDelete
  7. Noticed yesterday that WalMart here has gotten more canning jars & canning supplies in and stocked on shelves and in center aisle. Shelves are full and jars stacked 10 levels high in center aisle.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!