Wednesday, March 2, 2022

TURKEY FLAUTAS TAQUITOS RECIPE

Well, we used one bag of our frozen roasted turkey when 2nd Man decided to make taquitos.  Also called flautas and sometimes rolled tacos, they are a TexMex staple in these parts.  There really isn't a recipe, it's just a technique and they couldn't be easier...

We like yellow corn tortillas for these.  White corn is an option, but don't use flour tortillas for this because you'll end up with something completely different, ha.

He took the thawed turkey and added seasonings to it.  This has some cumin and other spices.  The meat is fully cooked of course so just season it as you like and set it aside.  Spicy, mild, whatever you like.

This is where you can use chicken (like a deboned rotisserie chicken) but we're using some of our turkey that we put up for recipes just like this.

The next step is to "par-fry" the tortillas.  This makes them pliable and easy to roll.  In a skillet, heat some oil, just a quarter inch or so, and then, using tongs of course, put a tortilla in the hot oil for about a few seconds and remove to let them cool.

Remember, you aren't frying them completely at this point, you are just getting them soft so they don't crack when you roll them.

I missed a picture but this part is pretty self explanatory.  After the softened tortillas have cooled a bit from the par-frying, put some of the meat mixture down the middle and roll them up.  A couple TBSP or so, whatever makes them full.

2nd Man stacks them into a sheet pan to hold them until it is time for the final frying.

Heat up some more oil if the pan needs it, this time about 1/2 inch deep.

Place them in the oil, seam side down so they stay sealed up and fry until they start to turn, then flip them over.  The level of the oil should be enough so that they are half submerged, cooking one side and flipping over to cook the other side.

Remember, the meat is cooked so you are getting it heated and if you fill them well, you'll get some crunchy bits of meat on each end.

This is what they should look like, golden and crunchy and ready to serve.

Super easy and beautiful on the plate when done.  We like to put them on a bed of shredded iceberg lettuce and then top with crumbled cheese, guacamole, a little pico de gallo and then some sour cream.  We use Mexican crema for drizzling (it's a more liquid form of sour cream with a great taste). 

SO DELICIOUS!

One bag of turkey down, eleven to go, ha. 


7 comments:

  1. Tommy might like that, but he probably would object to them being fried. Is there another way, like baking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, I'm not sure about that. I suppose they could be. Maybe with some sprayed on olive oil or something so they'll crisp up. I'm not sure how the tortillas would do in the oven. I'll do some checking and come back to this.

      Delete
  2. My former mother-in-law taught me to make these. We made a creamy avocado tomatillo salsa to serve with them. Now I'm making my mouth water! time to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your picture legit made my mouth water! I don't eat meat anymore (thanks, genetic high cholesterol!), but turkey used to be my favorite, and I love Mexican food of any kind. Enjoy one or ten (or more!) of these for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look fantastic! That picture of the finished flautas is making me hungry! Thanks for the recipe. I need to put these ingredients on my grocery list.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!