Wednesday, March 16, 2022

HERBS FROM PROVENCE

Herbs from Provence...it's one of our favorite herb blends.  Several of you asked about it after a recent post about a meal 2nd Man was making.


For those who may not know, it's a French herb blend.  It contains chervil, basil, rosemary, tarragon, garlic, marjoram, savory, thyme, parsley and LAVENDER.

A lot of times, you will find this in the store but without the lavender, but to be truly French, it must have this unique flavor.  Now cooking with lavender is always a risk.  Not enough and you go "meh, I can't taste it what's all the fuss about it".  But too much and you go "ugh, this tastes like air freshener", ha.  For us, the lavender is the unique and wonderful part.  In some blends that we have tried, the lavender is old and barely part of the flavor profile.


Take a look at these side by side.  The one on the left is a high end brand in the store, but it's sort of a finer grind, with some powder and it's all the same color beige.  Are we sure there is even lavender in there?

But now look at the M&B brand up close:


You can SEE the PURPLE of the lavender flower buds!  We know it's fresh and because they have put the ratios together in production, you don't have to worry about "too much" lavender.

We find ours at HEB but they do sell it on Amazon:



The way we use it most often is on a pork loin roast.  2nd Man will rub down a pork loin and mix a tablespoon or two into some olive oil and rub it all over with that.  Then he roasts it at 400 degrees until the pork reaches an internal temp of 160 degrees.


It's one of my absolute favorite meals that he makes.  Here we had it with some roasted broccolini...


But usually our go to version is with mashed sweet potatoes and peas.  Such a great flavor combo.  

Try it sometime, you might just like it!

10 comments:

  1. OMG ... everything looks so delicious! 🤤 Drool worthy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to look for that next time I'm at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kind of pricey (though most herbs are) but it's a great flavor profile to try.

      Delete
  3. Look at all that delicious food!
    I love the scent of lavender. It will be interesting to try this herb blend.
    🌻🌻🌻

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really good, at least we think so. The lavender is very subtle. It really pairs well with pork of course that's about all we've ever used it for, ha.

      Delete
  4. Great looking meal.
    I do like my herbs just ground a bit finer, so I do pulse mine up a bit in food processor.
    But then, when I make / mix up my own Provence blend; everything gets dumped in food processor and pulsed for just a little bit. All depends on what I'm mixing up, Sometimes I will grind to a powder.
    Happy Birthday 2nd Man

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea. And thanks for the bday wishes, he said it means a lot.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!