Monday, March 28, 2022

SMALLISH PROJECT DONE

Here's a project I've put off for a few years.  I'd think about it when it was the middle of Summer and that wasn't going to happen in the heat...and then in the Winter when stuff was mostly dormant I'd remember I needed to do it and then something else would come up and it would be too cold or rainy or whatever.  

Before we sold the house in town prior to the apartment, every time we went to the farm, we loaded up some large decorative rocks that we had in the backyard around the pool.  We figured they'd be nice to have someday for some project.  These are large too. Easily ten pounds a piece or more.

I tried to find a good "before" picture but this was the best I could do.  This was a few months ago after I sprayed them with some homemade vinegar weed killer.

After putting them there in a pile, they sat there.  I couldn't mow over them so I mowed around them.

And then grass grew up.

And weeds.

And the beginnings of small trees.

And it exponentially became a bigger project.

And one year became two and then three.

It was finally time this beautiful weekend to tackle that project.  I put on some gloves, grabbed a shovel and picked and dug them up one at a time.

Filled this cart up to the top and then realized it was so heavy, I couldn't push it.  Oops!  So I took some out and made three trips.  Then I broke out the Zen Machine and mowed over the weeds/grass (after stepping around the ground/grass over and over to make sure there were none hiding) and I finally cleaned it all up and got it looking much better.


This was after I had removed them and mowed it all (except that little pile, they were stragglers, ha).

Of course now we have them in a much larger pile.  This week we're going to pick up a large tarp and find a place to put it and put them there...for now.

One more project down, many more to go!



8 comments:

  1. Now that you got the rocks dug up; which looks really nice after getting that mowed by the way; get you some spray paint and paint them rocks for added color in your garden or flower bed area.
    If you know of anyone who paints; have them paint some pretty pictures of butterflies, birds, flowers, etc. on the rocks.

    You might consider getting a cart that you can pull behind your Zen and would be much easier next time when it comes to hauling rocks, bricks, etc. from one area to the next. We have a couple of garden wagons that can be hooked up to the back of you rider mower and works wonders when hauling bags of soil, mulch, or whatever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh those are some good ideas. We'll have to remember that, thank you. I even know a couple of good "artist" type people.

      Yes a cart...stay tuned!! ;-)

      Delete
  2. Those bitty pebbles..lol. I managed to get some 35-40 lb rocks moved from dead neighbor's yard to mine. Of course, a lever was involved and a cart that I had to push and pull up a hill! It could be that was part of what damaged my back. I love rocks. So did the people who stole them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People stole your rocks? Dang, that sucks, especially after that hard work. I am well aware of back issues, I've have my share and always try to be so careful but sometimes we all do what we have to do and have a setback.

      Delete
  3. I love rocks too but it sure isn’t fun moving them around. Glad you got this chore done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? Rocks are so cool when used right but figuring out a use first is always hard, ha. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. Looks good! All those little projects add up to a sense of accomplishment. (And sanity, lol). You're right about how easily they are put out of mind. But it's always a good feeling to finally conquer them and make some forward progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!! Yep, you're so right, we always have these little things that get pushed back and then we see them and they seem bigger and we still push them back. But jumping in and conquering it does make you feel good!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!