Saturday, July 9, 2022

HEAT EMERGENCY IN HOUSTON

 It is hot:


"Very Hot" according to the weather app.
Over 100 degrees.


This picture is the Summer story of the farm.

Dry.  Brown.  Hot.  

The plan is to stay long enough to water the fruit trees and bushes, check on things and that's it.  It's just far too dangerous in this heat to attempt much else.


We are under a heat advisory today which they issue when the feels like temperatures are going to be over 110 degrees.  They say 112 or 114 is possible.


The city of Houston is activating its "Heat Emergency Plan" which includes cooling centers open for residents without air conditioning or access to a cool space.  They are designated spots (libraries, community centers, city buildings etc) that are open to the public to stay inside where it's cool and be out of the heat.  They will also provide bottles of water for hydration.

They are also warning people across Texas to limit their electricity usage to keep the power grid from collapsing.

Crazy times...stay cool/safe wherever you are!  

10 comments:

  1. Your grass is certainly parched! I compare it to my lush grass that needs mowing. Have you considered temporarily covering the surface of the tree containers to help keep some moisture in? White would keep the ground cooler. I hope everyone is safe in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's parched. We've seen it like this before and after a couple of good rains it comes right back. I think "wild farm grass", haha, seems to find a way. We have a lot of mulch on the beds with the trees and it seems to be doing it's job.

      Delete
  2. Our grass is toast….it is definitely the same color! We need relief soon or our pond is going to dry up. Be careful! Deb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, yeah I didn't think about that, those ponds will be next to dry up. I hope we get some rain soon!

      Delete
  3. i used to avoid the south in summer because of the heat but we are just as bad here these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems bad everywhere this year and in recent years.

      Delete
  4. Your grass looks so sad. I think of the poor animals trying to find food, especially the grazing animals like deer. And searching for any water source that’s not dried up. I’m in that orange area on the map too, so I keep a pan of water in my back yard for any creature that may come around.
    It is just miserable hot. I got sick from being out in the sun and heat a few days ago. I was working to get a system going of hoses and sprinklers to try to save my shrubs and fruit trees. I also had to harvest my shallot crop in the garden or else it would have been lost to the heat. And that was in the morning before the worst of part of the day.
    Y’all keep cool and be careful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think about buckets or something to put water in. Will do that next weekend. All wildlife is welcome to have it. So scary about getting sick, stay safe and don't overdo. We're focusing only on our fruit trees and bushes. The trees on the property seem to have found a way (deep taproots we guess) stay green. But wow we need some good rain (but NO flooding).

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!