Sunday, February 25, 2024

GOOD FOOD AND HOBART SUNDAY

 We mentioned last weekend was the Daytona 500 and our tradition for that was always BBQ ribs.  I have posted about them several times.  The conundrum was how to make them healthier.

Ribs, per se, are not exactly fat free, LOL, but certain cuts are better than others.  The way to reduce that even further is portion control and what you put on it. I made a homemade dry rub with no salt at all.  Before, we used rubs that, in retrospect, were filled with sodium.  Then I found a homemade BBQ sauce recipe that I tweaked and it was SO good and again, minimal salt.  It uses "no salt added" ketchup but that contained the only sodium and it barely registered on the nutritional label compared to a bottle of our favorite "Sweet Baby Ray's".  But, it tasted identical.  I also cooked the ribs higher up than normal on a rack so that it stayed out of the rendered fat.

I also took my coleslaw recipe that had salt, reduced that to zero and instead of a cup of creamy mayo, I used plain Green Yogurt, zero saturated fat.  Boom!

I only cooked one rack and we cut that in half and then we each ate half of that (half of what you see above on each tray, I put the whole half for the picture, ha).  So a 1/4 rack was our serving size and that was it (froze the leftover meat after pulling it off).  Lastly, I added my homemade pickled red onions to it all.  It was delicious and since it's only twice a year, it felt good.

Now for dessert.  Wait, is that banana pudding?  That's not healthy!  No it's our new version, ha.  This is vanilla Greek Yogurt with fresh bananas and a couple of crushed up graham crackers.  Oh my, it was perfect!

During the race, and my cooking of the food Hobart slept, as he does so well.  He had played with a couple of his Christmas presents, but even that bored him after a while.  So we left him to bask in the sunshine.  Because...

#notspoiled


9 comments:

  1. I would love to have your Cole slaw recipe please

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I think we posted it on the blog but let me look. I used broccoli slaw that I get at HEB grocery store (a Texas chain). Then it's 'normally' a combo of mayo, heavy cream, a little mustard and some seasonings. I remade it with Greek Yogurt and keffir as substitutions, I cut way back on the salt and then added a touch of sugar because it was just a bit heavy with the yogurt and keffir. But let me put it all together and I'll do an updated post. :-)

      Delete
  2. You are doing so well! But tell me, how do you have leftover ribs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And right? Ha. Self control. We have always eaten pretty healthy, perhaps a touch more sodium (since it's hidden everywhere) but we would go back for seconds/thirds, etc. So we have had to change our mindset and it's tough but getting easier. So when I took the picture, I cut those each in half and we served what we had and that was it. We could go back for a little more coleslaw but the ribs were off limits, ha.

      Delete
  3. You are doing so well in adapting your recipes to being healthier. Your ribs and coleslaw look delicious!
    Hobart is the Expert on being comfy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We hear so many people talk about how hard it is to eat healthier (not that ribs are necessarily healthy, ha) but we can adapt all meals to make the healthier and the ones we would like to splurge with on occasion, well we have to figure out how to make them better too. Hobart would agree with you, ha.

      Delete
  4. So your eating healthy means 2nd Man does too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he is not letting me do this alone and he wants to do it for his health too. We're in this together! :-)

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!