Tuesday, July 15, 2014

EASY DEWBERRY JAM RECIPE

Several people have emailed and asked for the recipe I used for our

It really couldn't be easier:

Cooking dewberry jam

It's a very simple one to one ratio, and because it sets up so quickly when the heat is turned off, I found it easier to work in smaller batches.

Image above is 4 cups cooking at a time.

Canning dewberry jam

The 4 cups of berries with sugar will end up making about 5 pint jars or 8 half pint as above.

Dewberry jam

Ingredients:

4 cups dewberries
4 cups sugar
1/2 pkg of pectin

Cook dewberries on medium heat until bubbling, smashing with a potato masher or a large fork while they are heating up (we like it chunky, it is jam, ha).

Once they are boiling, add the pectin.  Stir well and continue to simmer until it starts to thicken, usually just a few minutes.

Add the 4 cups of sugar all at once, stirring quickly to make sure it all dissolves. Return to a boil and continue boiling for 1 minute.  You should have your jars ready and ladle quickly into sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" headspace.

Process for 10 minutes in a water bath.

Allow to cool for 24 hours, make sure all lids have sealed.

Enjoy!


DISCLAIMER:

PLEASE NOTE:  You are responsible to know and understand the current canning and processing recommendations for safety.  Canning is fun but you MUST follow guidelines to make sure you are doing it safely. I am no expert, I had to learn (and still am) so do your research on safe canning techniques.

 A great link to official information is http://nchfp.uga.edu/ and of course, the literal bible of home canning information, the Ball Website.

10 comments:

  1. 1st Man,

    See you're doing great with canning!!! Love the recipe, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a bevy of Ball beauties!! Y'all did great, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just googling for dewberry jam or jelly recipes and I found your blog!?! This is PERFECT, exactly what I needed. You are my hero. And I love your blog too, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. are Dew berries the same as Black berries, I was just wondering, your recipes are wonderful, Joyce from October Farm told me they were, she's right as usual, lol,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dewberries are black, but the taste is closer to raspberries. They are not the same as blackberries, although I do use them for cobblers, jams, etc. Just like I use blackberries.

      Delete
    2. Dewberries have a more tart taste than blackberries. So Dewberry cobbler pairs really well with vanilla ice cream. Dewberries grow on vines rather than canes and they ripen about six weeks before blackberries do.

      Delete
  5. The jelly jars are half pints, not pints. The recipe should say half pints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I had updated it a couple of years ago but I think it wasn't as visible. I made sure it's more noticeable. I had it listed as we made more using the smaller jars but I think that was lost, ha.

      Delete
  6. How many oz is the 1/2 pkg of pectin? I have a tub

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Found this online: "Six tablespoons of regular bulk pectin equals 1 box of regular powdered pectin." So if we're going with half a pkg I would say 3 tbsp. Now that doesn't mean you might not need more, sometimes the fruit itself is producing it's own thickening ability and it might need more or less. I'd start with the three and see if you think it's thickening up nicely.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!