Friday, January 30, 2015

RANDOM FRIDAY MUSINGS

Astrodome in Houston, TX
Recently, we went to an event that was near the Astrodome.  I always love seeing this old stadium, often dubbed the Eighth Wonder of the World.  There is a lot of controversy here in Houston about whether to tear it down or turn it into something else (they built a larger, new stadium next to it about 10 years ago).  Call us nostalgic, but we vote for turning it into something else.  One option discussed is a gigantic indoor park with gardens.  That would be really cool.

Tonka Truck for real
 No, we didn't buy a truck but how neat is this Ford F150 special conversion?  It's a real life Tonka Truck!  While it would be awesome as a farm truck, alas the price tag limits THAT idea!



I always like seeing plant arrangements in displays and parking lot planting areas.  These were colorful and pretty in the middle of January.



For those who remember dear, sweet Granny, over at Annie's Kitchen Garden, her daughter Amy has posted an update on the family and how they've been doing since Granny's passing.  Click HERE to read the update on her beautiful family.  Granny is still missed in the garden blogging world.  

While we've enjoyed unseasonably warm weather of late (almost 80 the other day!), cold weather is coming back...and along with that, rain.  Saturday is supposed to be nice(ish) but then Sunday is 80% chance of rain.


18 comments:

  1. I wonder if an indoor food forest might be possible. Hmmmm, interesting research project...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I guess that would be a greenhouse of sorts, ha. The roof does let light in so things will grow inside. A food forest would be awesome huh? Thanks to both of you!!

      Delete
  2. I love the Astrodome - it is so iconic. I remember going to the rodeo and ball games there. I hope it is re-purposed into something the city can enjoy.
    The Tonka edition Ford truck is fantastic. What a great farm truck that would make - someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? And I mean, come on, it was the first enclosed stadium EVER. That should count for something right?? I hope it gets repurposed too, for future generations to enjoy. We don't need another parking lot.

      Delete
  3. Love the Tonka truck - and would definitely vote for repurposing the Astrodome. Love the pansies and the alyssum too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alyssum!! Thanks, I forgot the name of that. Aren't pansies so pretty?

      Delete
  4. Love that Tonka Truck and it doesn't have to be just for the Big Boys. I, myself would love to have one. You can always tell the Big Boys by the price of their toys.
    Done alittle research and found that only 500 where made at a price of over $72,000.
    Don't think I will be buying one, but this ole gal sure can dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think I saw $75k on this one. Yikes!!! Hey dreams never hurt do they? You never know which ones will come true! :-)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the link to Granny's old blog for the family update.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you said that. I know Amy updated it and I wanted to make sure some people were able to stop by and say hello. Amy and I have emailed a few times and they all so miss her. Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
  6. We had rain Thursday night, all day yesterday and suppose to be more rain today. I'm getting cabin fever. Had to cover the iris as they don't like their feet wet and being in a pot they were getting too much water. Will have to see how the rest of the potted plants survived all this water. Enjoy your sunny Saturday. Love the pansies and the alyssum. Wonder what the red ones were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw all that rain your direction and was wondering if you were getting it. Yay for you!! Once the rain is gone and it's a little drier you can get some stuff done!!

      Not sure what the red ones were. I don't remember now thinking back on it, ha.

      Delete
  7. I agree, repurpose the Astrodome. It would be nice if they could convert it to grow local foods to provide to schools, jails, food pantries, etc... A real community project.

    I can't believe they want over $70 big ones for that truck. Yowza!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be awesome wouldn't it? Alas, if there is no money to be made, i'm sure that idea would be nixed, ha.

      Yep, that truck was 75k. Crazy!

      Delete
  8. Oh to have some warm weather here! -6 and covered in snow. Counting the days until Spring.
    Turning it into a gigantic indoor park would be wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow? And -6? Yikes!!! Stay warm!!! Spring will be here before we know it!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!