Friday, January 16, 2015

MORE FALL GARDEN VEGETABLES

When we visited 2nd Family at the farm a few weeks back, they had a pretty nice Fall garden going and I just had to get some pictures.  We promised them we'd post the pics on the blog.

Broccoli 
Above is their broccoli.  
They had 8 plants growing and they were doing very well.


Cabbages 
These of course are cabbages.  
 I believe they had 10 plants growing.

Collard Greens
These are collard greens and in the background is their lettuce, but I can't remember what kind she said it was.  They also had a bunch of spinach growing that I forgot to get a picture of.  This is all in addition to the Alaska peas that they had growing on trellises.

All in all, considering they started kind of late in the season, they ended up with a really nice Fall garden.  It gives us hope for ours next Fall since we know what grows well for them should also do nicely for us.

Now I need to go back to planning the Spring garden beds before I get too carried away with the Fall of 2015, LOL.  



6 comments:

  1. Their cold weather veggies look great! I struggle to grow them even here where we get much colder. My timing is always off it seems lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, that brocolli. It must taste wonderful right from the garden. We are heading to the country soon so look forward to a nice veggie garden. I'm sure your blog will be one of inspiration. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  3. 2nd Family has some beautiful fall-winter vegetables! They are really thriving. There’s nothing better than growing your own food.
    I just got in from picking my supper from the garden - a head of cauliflower, carrots, some kale and green onions. Kumquats and an orange for dessert. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those plants are beautiful. 2nd family did a great job. That is nice to have people to try things out before you venture into planting. Of course, your soil could be different. I don't know much about lettuce, but that appears to be butter lettuce unless I am just totally wrong. I know you are really looking forward to your garden this spring! I will be interested in seeing what you plant and how things grow.

    Fall got away from me with all the lack of water woes. So, I am going to try lettuce for the middle of winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had to chuckle because it sure isn't Fall anymore. I'd call that a winter garden and how lucky they are to have it mild enough to grow this season.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I tried broccoli last year, and it didn't turn out as good as I had hoped. Will try again this year though.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!