Sunday, June 7, 2015

SAVE THE WHEAT, VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY

Eat More...Save the Wheat, image courtesy of US National Archive
We realized recently we haven't posted any images of vintage posters in awhile because of the crazy weekend weather of the last couple of months, so I scoured the Internet the other night to find some more.  For those new to the blog in the last few months, every Sunday we would usually post images of food/gardening/conservations related vintage posters.  Click the HISTORY label at the bottom of this post (or over to the right in the sidebar) and you can see others that we have posted in previous weeks.  

This one comes from WWI, about 1917 or so, from the US Food Administration.  It urged people to "Eat More Cornmeal, Rye flour, Oatmeal and Barley" so as to "Save the Wheat for the Fighters".  We love the canisters they use in the image.  Nice graphics on this one.  

While this posts, we are at the farm enjoying the clear weekend weather.  It's HOT though, but still, I won't start complaining about that for a while...at least a couple of weeks, LOL.

Update tonight and will catch up on comments!!


12 comments:

  1. I love everything vintage. Thank you so much for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poster! I love those canisters too. And, in the background, the Army was still riding horses back then!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are pretty! And yes, I didn't realize the troops were on horseback. Amazing. ;-)

      Delete
  3. the vintage posters had such great graphics,,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did, you don't see that as much now.

      Delete
  4. Enjoy the dry skies, the farm and your time together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love the vintage posters. I wonder why wheat was considered 'better' for the fighters...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read that it was also used to help prevent a famine in Europe which could have allowed overthrow of their governments. I guess wheat was/is the most ubiquitous grain to be used for the most things. Probably not healthier but definitely heartier I suppose, ha.

      Delete
  6. I would love to have those canisters!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't they awesome? Someone should recreate them, we'd buy some too, ha.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!