Sunday, August 27, 2017

NO WORDS

How do you come up with a word to describe something like what is happening?

When they say 30" of rain, you kind of think in the back of your mind "yeah, sure, there can't be that much rain" and maybe even if there was that much you still think "it wouldn't all come at once".

Last night, or I guess earlier this morning, we finally got to bed about 2am. Please know before you continue reading, we are safe, the pets are safe, even the cars are safe. The farm, well, we're hoping it's safe. Haven't been able to reach 2nd Family this morning but the radar shows there have been some breaks out there unlike Houston where it has just rained for almost 12 hours nonstop.  

Of course, as I type this now this morning, there is another tornado warning, once again including the area where the farm is.  

We spent hours watching the local news where we have had, as one news anchor said, "an apocalyptic amount of rain". The most common word being tossed around is "catastrophic" or "devastating".  

We're up now at 8am, watching the news as dawn is breaking on perhaps what will become the greatest disaster ever to hit our city.


I went to our city website where they have an interactive flood monitoring system and I screen captured this showing the official rainfall amounts across Harris County. Click to enlarge. Have you ever seen rain like this?  This is since LAST NIGHT.

Quite honestly, I've lived here 40 years, 2nd Man was born here, and other than a tropical storm named Allison way back in 2001 that also dumped an epic amount of rain (but nothing like this now), this is unlike anything we have EVER seen. They are rescuing people from rooftops, evacuating entire apartment complexes where water is going up to the second floor, cars underwater all over the city, roads flooded everywhere, the 911 system is so overloaded that people are asking for rescue via Twitter and Facebook.  Even one of our international airports has had to shut down due to flooded runways.  

Truly, we have never seen anything like this.

And it's going to keep raining most of the day today.  

And possibly for days more.

No words...

33 comments:

  1. So horrible. The effects will take a long time, but Houston will rebound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right...there are no words for all this devastation. Sending prayers. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unbelievable. I saw photos of downtown Houston- catastrophic describes it. Prayers for all in the wake of this unrelenting rain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow...i am still watching on the weather channel. and trump doesn't believe in climate change? can you see the flooding from your balcony? i am so glad you guys are safe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The pictures on TV are horrible. Our tv radar has been on Houston since Friday night. It is the channel that gives us no choice, just chose to broadcast Houston over local radar. I see the evacuees and think how awful it would be to be so displaced and knowing my whole life might be under water. On a lighter note, did you see the German shepherd in Dickinson that evacuated with a bag of dog food?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of tornado warnings but I don't believe any that touched down here in the county north of the freeway. I finally had to silence the notifications so I could get some sleep, 3AM wakeup. Much more here ladt night and today than previous couple of days. Check email in a few. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am hoping that you don't lose power. What about drinkable water. Are you OK in that dept? And with the farm,...things can be replaced but you guys can't. I'd miss your cheerful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Friend just sent a picture from her Houston downtown highrise. Think she is on the 20th floor. Water is up to the tree tops per the picture. Unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  9. AM sending all 4 of you in the apartment much love, concern and care. Very relieved that 1st Man, 2nd Man and both your fur babies are safe, umpty-something floors up in your apartment. Please stay there, stay safe. Sending my love, concern, and care with love, light and peace, Michelle in Wellington NZ and my cat, Megs, who is doing her best at a snoozathon on the sofa. XX XX

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1st Man - So glad to hear you're both OK.

    What floor are you on?

    You take it easy - you're going to be very busy once the rain stops and the water recedes.

    Now, perhaps someone needs to shake Trump out of his climate change denial...🤔

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you and 2nd man are ok, I hope 2nd family is safe too

    ReplyDelete
  12. Catastrophic! From your post headline I thought I would see only photos. What can you see from your apartment?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you're safe right now. Praying for those in need. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Please stay safe! The footage I've seen on the news is terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad that you and 2nd man and the moggies are safe. And my heart goes out to those who are affected.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good to hear that you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mother nature at her worst. Hoping you keep safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm glad you are safe. I know not everyone is. Hurricanes suck.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good to know you are safe. I've read that the Houston residents were told evacuation wasn't necessary. Heartbreaking just like Katrina. Rescued from rooftops. Exhausted first responders. Prayers for all.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yup there is no climate change, and all this flooding is fake news����

    ReplyDelete
  21. Stay safe. My niece lives in Houston. She's been able to update on FB a few times that she's safe, but it's been a few hours since the last time she posted. Very scary.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I sure hope you two are ok. Margie from Arkansas.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I wish all of Houstonians well. It is a sad day when this happens. Y'all have cheered me up when I was down many times. My 3 daughters live in Austin where it is not so bad, but I have Houston friends I have not heard from.
    I traded tornadoes and hurricanes for earthquakes 10 years ago.
    Best to you both and 2nd family.
    Cynthia in Olympia

    ReplyDelete
  24. You know you & yours, as well as the whole of those affected, are in our prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thinking of you guys and keeping your safety in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just want you to know I'm thinking of you and the critters! I hope you all stay safe - and 2nd Family, too!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I've seen this storm on Euronews TV, and I'm thinking about people who got injured during it. Terrible. Hope you're well!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My heart, thoughts and prayers to all those infected by Harvey.
    Guess Noah's Ark would sure come in handy right about now.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hope you all remain safe and dry through this disaster. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  30. so relieved to see this post; hope the tornados stay well away from you. following the news here in the uk and also checking in with your local tv online - saw a "sister station" had taken over last night. thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!