Thursday, August 31, 2017

THURSDAY UPDATE

I don't mean these posts to be depressing and I hope you all don't take it like that. We just want to create a record of this unfolding disaster. 



The rains have stopped which is great news.

However, they are still rescuing people.

Another 30 or so claims today at work.

Tens of thousands of homes all across the city have been inundated. Apartments. Gas stations. Shopping centers. Grocery stores. Malls. Schools.  Hotels. Hospitals. Nursing homes. Office buildings. Police stations. Fire stations. Our downtown theater district. Restaurants.

Rich, poor, middle class, working class, retired, young, old, all people, this storm has spared no one in its devastation and loss. 

Rich, poor, middle class, working class, retired, young, old, all people, this storm has brought these same people together to help each other through this crisis and that warms our hearts.

There is flooding still to come in the areas they have evacuated so there will be thousands more homes that will flood in the coming days as water from the reservoirs is released to prevent failure. It is now flooding miles more of neighborhoods

The death toll, sadly, continues to climb with the latest including a family of six escaping their home and a police officer going in to work to help during the flood, both caught in high water, during the dark of night, in their vehicles.  The water receded and they found them.  We fear that will repeated often.

A chemical plant has been evacuated in a 2 mile radius because chemicals have been compromised that are literally in imminent danger of exploding.

Thankfully, in a bit of good news personally, the river near the farm has crested, we didn't flood, and the water around it is receding. 
Much relief with that news.

And then there's this...

Blue skies after Harvey
A beautiful sight indeed!

And no rain in the forecast, sunny and clear for a week at least.  Hope shines brightly once again!

Sleep beckons yet again...

22 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you and so many have to go through this. It has to be exhausting and so worrisome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, it is very draining (no pun intended) at times.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for your updates. Much rather follow your posts than some of the news channels! Stay strong my friends!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there!!!! Thank you for stopping by and we'll stay strong for sure!

      Delete
  3. I appreciate you letting us know what is happening. I can't watch the television any more. I'm getting most of my information from the Internet and my coworkers who are in a city 40 miles away that is in imminent danger. The Brazos River is about to crest. What is mind blowing, beyond the already unbelievable events that are occurring in the Houston-Galveston area, is how widespread the devestation is. I saw a story that the Colorado River is also breaching it's banks. LaGrange had flooding there as well. That's 100 miles to the northwest of Houston! I pray for everyone in Texas right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, we pray that you are safe too and your family and friends and coworkers. This is just unbelievable, truly truly unbelievable. Sending much love to you!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for posting and I am glad the sun is finally shining for Houston. It is shocking to see the devastation and prayers going your way. Hang in and hold on to your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard there were no explosions at the plant, just chemical reactions this morning!? The family and the policeman cases were sad. Hopefully, the lesson bought dearly will lead cities to see that permeable ground cover is a good thing. Your posts are no more depressing than the news I watch. I just cannot help watching in horror.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your posts lets us know you guys are OK. I just made a donation to the Montrose Center hurricane disaster relief.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good news about the River and your farm. We dodged a bullet. Now if Irma would just veer north and the unnamed one in the Gulf doesn't form.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor Houston. After living there, I don't think most people know how big an area is flooded. It seems an insurmountable disaster, but I know they will recover. Someday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your updates are not depressing. It's helpful to receive first-hand accounts from someone I trust. Plus, if I didn't hear from you, I'd be worried about you two.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  10. The survival of you two (I do wish you would give "Second Man" his real name) and of the little farm offers a moment of hope and happiness amidst the tragedy. It is wonderful to have your account of what has happened. Roderick

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for blue skies. Thanks for the update and stay strong. We care about you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. amazing! it is very smart of you to document this disaster. i am happy to hear about the farm. it is going to take a long long time for houston to recover from this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for the updates.
    Yes, the news is sad, but we care and we want to know.

    ReplyDelete
  14. There has been a photo in the papers here that had an image that will stay with me forever. It was of an Aged Care Facility with the residents sitting in their chairs in waist high water. I can't stop thinking about how uncomfortable and cold that would have been, how long they would have been in that condition as the water got higher and higher and how frightening it would have been. So much pain and suffering with more to come as waters recede.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Texas and Houston are going through a public and private hell.It is so terribly sad and makes me feel helpless to do anything but donate to the relief funds. Don't even think of feeling uneasy for the tone of your posts. I am just glad y'all are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad you have blue skies. I hope your 2nd family is ok. I hope the water recedes quickly. The cleaning up is what is going to stink..

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, sometimes the news shared is depressing but it is also reality. And when the news you have shifts, and gets brighter like those blue skies, it will be that much sweeter. I don't know how you find the emotional energy to blog at all. Hopefully "chatting" with you blog buddies adds a bit of normalcy to your chaos. Keep blogging. We all really do care about you two.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So glad to hear you came through yourselves with not to much damage. My cousins in Katie were still in their home till Tuesday then were asked to leave and evacuate. A terrible ordeal. People always ask why I don't move from PA. We are relatively lucky here with hardly any weather disasters compared to other parts of the country.

    I'm also glad Melania Trump was able to come down in her stilettos heels and help drain the water into the earth.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please we don't need the politics and the snide remarks on here. This is a time for coming together and caring. I am so grateful that you and the farm have survived and am praying for everyone that is impacted. Stay safe and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!