Wednesday, August 16, 2017

SALSA FRESCA GROUND BEEF TACOS RECIPE

Here's something we love, especially on "Taco Tuesday" ha.  

Pico de Gallo vegetables
We start with a large lime, some tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro and an onion. These were (the tomatoes and jalapeños and cilantro anyway) fresh from our garden at the time I took these pictures.

These are the ingredients in Salsa Fresca, or Pico de gallo as it's also called in Tex-Mex cuisine.

Browned ground beef
We brown a pound or so of ground beef and drain it.  Add a little salt and pepper and dash of cumin (all seasonings are optional, use what you like).

Charred vegetables
I missed the picture prior to this, but we toss these veggies into/on a hot pan/griddle to get a nice char on them. No oil, just a really hot pan. It definitely brings out the flavor.  You could roast it all in the oven too, whatever you prefer. Once this step is done, dice everything into smaller pieces. 


Add the charred, diced tomatoes to the seasoned meat and stir over medium low heat.


Then add the onions and continue stirring for a couple of minutes more or until they start to soften.


The next to the last step is to add the chopped jalapeños and stir, continuing to heat on medium low.

Ground beef with salsa
Finally, add the chopped up cilantro and stir.  To this mixture, we also squeezed the juice of one large lime.  This is an important step, it really brightens the overall flavors, so don't miss it. 

Pico de Gallo beef tacos
Spread the mixture onto a tortilla and you are done. This night, we used soft corn tortillas.  Of course you could use flour or even crunchy taco shells.  We like to change it up a bit each time.  These are topped with Queso Blanco cheese, also know as Mexican crumbling cheese. You can use any cheese you enjoy.

Salsa Fresca beef tacos
Fold them over and eat.  YUM!  They are so good.  You can add anything to this, guacamole, hot sauce, more cheese, whatever you want extra. We like them simple on occasion and this is definitely simple. 





12 comments:

  1. Wow this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! My kind of eats. I can just feel the juices(grease) running down to my elbow as I hang over the plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A man after my own heart, ha! That's the best part, right?

      Delete
  3. Delicious! I'm going to make Tex-Mex tonight, done. Thank you, I was waffling over what to do with the chicken! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave out the hot peppers, and I am all over that. I use whatever cheese I have.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Once again; here comes my RoTel added in.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!