Wednesday, April 24, 2013

OLD FASHIONED DOOR LATCH



In the bathroom at the farm, the doors are original but the old knobs were shot.  I tried replacing them but it was too complicated, needing major modifications.  We decided to just use these static pull knobs.  Unfortunately, they don't latch and lock the door and while that's no problem for just us, our guests might like to latch the door.


So I decide to kick it "old school" and use this type of latch.  It's called a "hook and eye latch".  I think they are used more often now on gates but there was a time when they were used on doors in old homes to latch bedroom doors or closet doors or bathroom doors.




Now you just close the door, flip the hook into the latch and the door stays "locked" until you open it.  Is it the prettiest solution?  Probably not.  But sometimes the old solution is the easiest solution.

13 comments:

  1. And sometines the simplest really IS the best solution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i always live in old houses and this is mostly how my doors work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The old various doors here have key locks, but skeleton keys fall out so hook and eyes were put on the 3 bathroom doors here before I moved in. Works for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love those old skeleton key doors. Wish we had those. I tried to duplicate the look with the static knobs I got instead, ha. Hook and eye latches are more common than I realized.

      Delete
  4. teehee. when i was younger my friend and i lived in a 2-bedroom apartment. the bathroom was the size of a closet and the bathroom door opened INTO the bathroom!!! and we needed room enough in there for TWO girls worth of cosmetics, body creams, blow driers, curling irons and all sorts of other stuff!!! needless to say, we took the door down and put up a curtain on a rod outside the bathroom door. anyone who visited who did not like to go in the bathroom with a curtain for a door needed to hold it in until they left. bahahah!

    i love your simple, frugal and easy solution to your door problem. your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, that's a funny story. I bet you did have people holding it, ha. We did the curtains for the bedroom doors, I think I blogged about that a few weeks back, but I had to keep the doors up. The bathroom is pretty small but it works. Besides, we don't have all that paraphernalia, ha.

      Hey, it's definitely frugal. About $1.79 for each door. :-)

      Delete
  5. I absolutely love the doorknobs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Simple things are usually better than the more complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My home was built in 1902. That is how my bathroom doors lock, good old hook and eye. All doors have locks that use skeleton keys, but I have no skeleton keys to fit any of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have those around here too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!