Monday, April 1, 2013

OUCH WHAT A WEEKEND


What a weekend.  I probably should have stayed in bed, ha.  But such is the life of going back and forth from city to country and back again.

Mesquite thorn
First up, on Saturday, I stepped on this mesquite thorn and my foot is STILL sore.  In fact, I think if you zoom on on the tip, you can still see blood!

It happened while walking around in the garden area, working on the sprinkler set up.  This bad boy went through the hard rubber sole of my shoe and right into the soft part of my foot!

I immediately pulled it out and then hopped back to the porch (insert Easter bunny reference here).  I pulled off my shoe and there was a spot of blood on my sock.  I washed my foot and pulled out the First Aid Kit that fortunately, I just bought a few weeks ago.  I had put some antibiotic gel in there and so I put that on the wound and then a band-aid and went back to work.  I'm here to tell you, these things hurt.  Damn mesquite trees.

No videos, thank goodness, exist so this will have to be me and 2nd Man
Then Sunday, I was leaving the house in town, walking down the front steps and I missed the bottom one and fell, knee and elbow first, onto the concrete sidewalk in front of the house!  Skinned up my elbow, my knee, and tore my jeans.  Ever notice how the first thing you do, before you feel the pain, is look around to see if anyone saw you?  Damn stairs.

Finally, I apparently got something, a thorn, a splinter, whatever, in my index finger and now I've got a big bump swollen up on my knuckle. Damn whatever.

The ironic thing is that this all happened on the right side of my body!
Right foot, right knee, right elbow and right index finger.

To cap off the weekend...



The skies started to get dark, the temperature dropped, the wind increased and it was about to storm so we headed back into town.  We outran it, but there was a lot of rain, some hail, wind, lightning and even a couple of reports of funnel clouds.




I snapped this picture, not sure that was what this was, but it was certainly ominous and after the 'dark cloud' that followed me around all weekend, the literal black cloud was not something we wanted to stay around.  I did manage to get some stuff done, I'll share that during the week.

28 comments:

  1. First off, I'm glad you are basically okay. We got married in Texas, ten years ago on this Friday. That night there was a terrible storm... and my sister's car suffered a lot of damage. I well remember those Texas storms. I fear falling worse than anything else... and carry my phone all the time, just in case I do! I'm sorry you did!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas storms are a sight to see, that's for sure. I DO make sure when I'm on the property I take my cell phone with me for sure. Thanks!!

      Delete
  2. Hope the bad part is gone in the past and better week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! Ha. It is, I can feel it in my bones!!

      Delete
  3. OMG!! You poor thing! I am glad you weren't more seriously injured (other than your pride). And I must say I love the graphic re-enactmment of the stair fall.

    UNLESS...this is all a big April Fool's prank?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish it was, ha. I never thought about April Fool's, ha. I should have posted tomorrow, LOL! Thanks for the well wishes. :-)

      Delete
    2. Well that is a most unfortunate set of circumstances. Sorry you had a bad case of the clumsies :-(

      You REALLY need to get that tetanus shot! Take some ibuprofen, make sure to alternate hot and cool compresses. Don't forget the neosporin for the cuts/abrasions

      Sending speedy recovery wishes your way

      Delete
  4. oh no! i hope you are feeling better! maybe you got all of this years injuries in one weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you might be catching my clumsiness, which has progressively gotten worse over the years. Glad you are OK.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I hope you are ok too! Thanks for the wishes, I don't want mine to get worse but I think it comes with the territory huh? LOL!

      Delete
  6. Uh.....like Tonya said, is this an April Fool's prank? I hope so, for your sake. If not, I know just how you feel. I actually had an entire week that went like that once, and I'll never forget it. Mine began with stepping barefoot on one of those plastic candle holders (pointed end up, of course) that went completely into my foot. Besides painful, it was sickening pulling it out! It went from bad to worse after that, but the story is way too long to put in a comment, you'll just have to take my word for it. It did involve nearly cutting my lower leg in half, a mad kitten and a giant slug. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no April Fool's joke, ha. Though, I wish I could have a motley assortment of characters in my story like angry kittens and giant slugs. I take it that you made it through the week and came out the other side, so I'm hoping that will get me through it too. :-)

      Delete
    2. Well, my week took place over 40 years ago. It was traumatic enough to remember every detail to this day!

      Delete
  7. Hmmm, with all that happening I see a Tetanus shot in your future. Take care and watch out for those thorns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, you're not the first to mention that. I just despise needles with a passion. :-)

      Delete
  8. Awww, see what happens when you get old! Sending much love and monkey kisses for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I feel it! Thanks for the love and monkey kisses, LOL!! :-)

      Delete
  9. I don't want to hear from 2nd man later this year that he chose for your tomb stone "He despised needles with a passion." Please call today to get the danged tetanus shot!! (hugs) Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya. I will get that done soon. Thank you! :-)

      Delete
  10. Get well soon, and remember that Jesus felt 3 times ... ohh wait you weren't reacting the last moment weren't you? ;-)
    Get well, sorry for all those bad lucks you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, too funny! Thanks for the wishes. I'm almost fully better now, so all is good.

      Delete
  11. Geez. You sound like me!! Hope you're feeling better and healing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I hope YOU'RE ok! I'm much better, just a few minor bumps in the road, ha.

      Delete
  12. Oh man...isn't that always the way?! No one ever just gets hurt once...it comes in waves! Glad you're OK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely waves, and I made it through this past weekend incident free (cept a small splinter in the finger, ha). Thank you!!!

      Delete
  13. OUCH. That cartoon of falling down the stairs.... I did that. Back when V and I were together and we co-owned the house. I slipped, fell halfway, thought I was going to stop, then proceeded the other half. All while V watched from behind helpless. How exciting that was!

    Sorry about your foot mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is better now, thank you for the wishes! Stairs can be scary when falling down them...and you're right for the other person there is nothing they can do until 'the fall stops'.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!