Monday, April 22, 2013

AND YET MORE FRUIT TREES

It was a good weekend, for the most part.  I will share more of the events in the next post.  For now, I'll share these pictures.  Hope I don't bore you all with my fruit tree plantings.  I do this to share of course on the blog and also to give me some sort of record of what we've got planted and where.
So this weekend I put in five more trees:

Pear trees
The first two I planted were pear trees, two varieties.  One, a "Kieffer Pear" and the other, a "Pineapple Pear".  I put them together as they benefit from mutual pollination.  They are on the side of the property behind the area of the barn site and at the back of what I'm calling the future "chicken yard".

Dorsett Golden Apple Tree
Here is one that I really hope does well.  It's a "Dorsett Golden Apple".  It's about the only variety of apple that does well in our semi-tropical climate.  I planted it away from the house but still close enough to see out of the dining room windows.  I figured it would be pretty when in bloom.

Mayhaw Trees
And here are two of the same trees that I planted on the garden side of the property.  Everything is so green it's hard to see the second one, ha.  Again, as I did with the figs and the pears, they are along the neighboring fence line so that as they grow in the future, they will provide some more privacy.  These two are "Mayhaw" trees.  Hope to have some great jelly in a few years (can take up to five to fruit).


14 comments:

  1. You are typing this so easily, but I know what effort it takes to plant a tree properly, and I applaud you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it is work but we've been blessed with such unusually cool weather lately, it was perfect timing. Thanks again.

      Delete
  2. i agree with Mary Ann! you make it sound like you just picked up a tree and planted it - it takes real effort. anyway congrats on all of your hard work and ACK! - i am sooooo green with envy - bahahahaha!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, y'all are too nice. Digging the hole is the hardest part, making it bigger and wider and deeper, then putting good soil into the hole (I still have some leftover form the garden beds) and of course I'd forget the shovel, or go get the tree and forget the extra dirt, or the camera or the tape measure or whatever, seems I was constantly forgetting something. Maybe after the last few go in the ground I'll have it down, ha.

      Hey, today is Earth Day, what better day to be "green"!

      Delete
  3. It's really looking good out there in Tx. You'll be so happy in a few years when you get all that fruit. This should be the first thing people do when they buy a new home, is to plant fruit trees and bushes. Such a good thing to do for the future. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, that is SUCH a good idea, it would be awesome if everyone did that in all new neighborhoods. I remember when I was young (6ish?) my parents built a house and my dad planted about 6 fruit trees. It was a large lot, about 1/4 acre....we moved away a couple years later when he got transferred but I drove by about 10 years ago and they were HUGE. I'm not sure if they were all still there or someone replaced them but it was neat to see. How nice that would be if everyone planted at least one new fruit tree.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Wow, you are going to have so much free fruit one day, how wonderful. I am rather jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, thanks (as always). Yes I have to think long term. And of course don't be jealous yet, they need to make it through their first year, ha.

      Delete
  5. i love seeing your tree planting!and it is good for record keeping. i planted new flower beds last spring and as usual, thought i would remember what i put in. of course i now have no idea. so i went back and looked at my posts from then. nice pics but i never mentioned what i planted so i still don't know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great way to "remember" things huh? Heck, I've been known to go back on my blog and look up a recipe for something we cook, ha. Thanks for the kind words.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like things are going great! I was counting the other day and we've planted about 26 trees over the last 4 years.
    Only 23 have survived, and only 8 are fruit trees (the rest being pecan trees of one type or another); but it does indeed take a lot of planning.
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, 26 trees, that's great. And you've only lost three, I'd say that is pretty good odds and you've done well! Ironically, two of my last trees to plant are pecans. I have to find the right place for them because I know they get (hopefully anyway) HUGE. I figured two was good for us. Though I could be persuaded to someday plant some more elsewhere as we clear more areas. We love pecans! Are yours doing well?

      Delete
  7. I am so thankful that the original owner took the time and planted fruit trees, berries, and grapes around the property. It won't take long for your trees to grow and begin providing you with lots of variety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, how awesome for you huh? Yes, I'm hoping they grow quickly and maybe next year we might get a few fruits. Certainly in a couple years for sure. Thanks for the inspiration!! :-)

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!