Friday, May 22, 2015

FRESH EGGS DAILY BOOK REVIEW

I have another great book to review:


While we don't have chickens yet, because we aren't there full time of course, that doesn't preclude planning.  Heck, we read books about beekeeping for a few years before we had bees, so it never hurts to increase our knowledge.




This is a smaller sized book but trust me when I say it is packed with lots of info and personally, I like smaller books, they don't seem so overwhelming.  This one is filled with beautiful photos, many from the author's own chicken yard (and she's got a beauty).  Flowers, greenery and chickens galore.  The pictures are great because they show, visually, exactly what she's talking about in the writing.  Lisa has a talented way of describing in great detail exactly what she shows in the pictures. 

Her philosophy is natural or holistic chicken keeping. This one stands apart from other chicken books.  And that's the part of the book we love most, the herbal recipes.  Wow, this is one of the best books I've ever read for really hard to find information about herbs for your hens, how to treat for various ailments using herbs, what they like to eat.  It's a great book to start your chickens out right.  It covers a lot of the basics of chicken care, and I think it works well for a first timer.
Fresh Eggs Daily....CLICK HERE TO VIEW HER BLOG

Please visit her website linked above.  Her blog is a wealth of information on hens and egg laying.  Lots of great information.  One thing for sure after reading this book...WE WANT CHICKENS!!!!  Alas we still have to wait but we'll definitely know how to start the ladies out right from the very beginning. 

You can also purchase the book here via Amazon: 
Fresh Eggs Daily: Raising Happy, Healthy Chickens...Naturally

This book is published by a new favorite publishing company called St. Lynn's Press.  They have a wide variety of books in the gardening, self sufficiency, and slow and local lifestyles topics.  In my interaction with them, I found them to be kind, easy to work with and just all around wonderful.  A great, small publishing company worthy of supporting.

Thank you of course to St. Lynn's Press for providing this book to review, and thank you Lisa Steele for getting us even more prepared for the day when laying hens will rule the roost at Seda Bolsa Farm!



9 comments:

  1. They are a lot of fun. You can spend hours watching them. I'd say number one advice, is to handle them a lot when small and they will become like pets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this kind review. I hope you get your chickens soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. KV said...I just went to her website, what some great info, thank you. I will have to add this book to my list. THank you! Karen V

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just checked it out at Amazon, looks like a book we will be getting soon as we are just now getting ready for our own chickens. I will have to look at her blog too. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds great. And chickens are wonderful. I do love the contented chooky noises they make forraging around in a yard. I am v sad, that we can't have them in the suburbs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite all around chicken is the Black Australorpe. Good heavy chicken, gentle, do well in captivity and lay nice brown eggs almost year round.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visit Lisa's blog all the time. She's definitely got some great info and for some reason I didn't even realize she had a book (I must not be very observant, lol). I will order this book, it would be nice to have it all in one place when I'm not online. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great book, I was heading to amazon to check it out and I googled the book name and farm and found your review, ha. Perfect timing, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a beautiful and very informative book. Great that it shows how to raise chickens with natural foods - we are what we eat.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!