Saturday, May 23, 2015

OFF TO THE WET FARM


It has rained, almost daily, for weeks now.  We'll get a day or two off here and there, but it's pretty much rained some almost every day.  This week alone, we are closing in on 6 inches at the farm.  Thankfully, it's come slowly (mostly) and it has a chance to drain away before there is any major road flooding.  

Several rivers however (not near the farm, thankfully) have exceeded their banks and, sadly, flooded homes.  Today is supposed to be the day with the least chance of rain...


...A 40% chance.  But Sunday and Monday, for our long holiday weekend, are not even showing a % chance because it is going to just rain all day, both days.  In fact, we are being warned that flooding may be widespread.  So alas, we're not spending the night out there, thought we wanted to have a long weekend out there, but certainly don't want to get stuck out there if there are indeed flooded roads come Sunday/Monday.  It can and does flood out there...2nd Family was stranded for almost a week once when all the roads in and out were underwater.  We need to make it back to work Tuesday so we can keep our jobs and continue on our journey toward retirement out there, LOL.

So today is, most likely, the last chance to check things out at the farm before we get rained out.  Hopefully the driveway is passable, though my guess is it's muddy...I'll definitely be wearing the rubber boots!  

Checking on the bees is the first and main priority.  I didn't get to open the hive last weekend because it was sprinkling and it's not a good idea to let water get in the hive when the roof is off.  I'll put on the bee suit and get the smoker out and see how they are progressing.  It's good that they have plenty of fresh water to drink, I just hope they are producing brood (babies) and gathering pollen and of course, making honey!  We also have to make sure the house and surrounding property are OK after these storms.

More when we get back this evening...unless of course, we come back early because we got caught in the "40%".

Peace!

19 comments:

  1. Oh I feel your pain. It has been the exact same here. We never get this much rain. It is a muddy mess everywhere and gardens will have to be replanted. We've even lost some small fruit trees. The saying when it rains it pours is apropos around my farm. The fish in my goldfish are swimming out of the pond and flopping around the pond in puddles. I think all that rain there is moving north here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In a way I'm kind of glad we didn't start a garden, I don't think it would have worked for us either, ha. We get rain, but this year is crazy, like you said we never get this much either.

      Yep, y'all will get more, stay as dry as you can!! and safe of course!

      Delete
  2. wow, thats a lot of rain, I hope the sun soon shines,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not anytime soon it looks like, according to tonight's weather, ugh. thanks!

      Delete
  3. It has been very rainy here too! You get it and then it comes right up to Missouri! The next three days will be wet. Our garden is growing but heck, we need some sun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well then you are getting more coming...we're supposed to have a LOT of rain the next two days. Stay safe!!! Hope you get some sun soon too!

      Delete
  4. Good luck. I cannot imagine what receiving that much rain must feel like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it feels like what ducks feel like, ha. Or maybe fish after tomorrow and Monday, LOL.

      Delete
  5. We're up near DFW and it's been insane up here. Lots of rain and it just keeps coming and coming and coming. stay dry and safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, Texas, Oklahoma and elsewhere it's been crazy.

      Delete
  6. and i am trying to pull it together to go out and water AGAIN! just send some of that rain my way and we will both be happy. i hope the bees are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I wish I could make some go your way. We've had MORE than enough...the bees seemed fine today.

      Delete
  7. 1st,
    I do hope you guys have a great weekend and are not flooded in, or out. But it sounds that you keep an eye on the sky as not to be caught off guard. On the brighter side of the rain cloud, think of all the plant growth this rain will cause to spring forth. – G

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. See my update post, I think we're going to have a LOT more before it, hopefully is over. Yes, everything will be pretty and green for sure. And we're grateful the aquifers will be filled to the brim.

      Delete
  8. Seems like lots of people are going into bee keeping. I don't know anything about it myself, just that several blogs I read have had posts about starting up bee hives. Good luck with that. Hope the rain quits for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, bees are sort of becoming popular, you are right I see bee posts now on lots of blogs. So far, it's been a fun experience. They are kind of the best self sufficient farm "animal", ha. ;-)

      Delete
  9. Rain rain go away come back another day! Same situation here in NE Kansas but our temps aren't as warm as yours. Feels like March not May. Tired of the dark gloomy cold days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AMEN! ha. I "might" be able to deal with the rain if it wasn't so hot and humid with it. But yeah, the gloomy dark gray days are driving me crazy. Is this what Seattle is like? Ha.

      Delete
  10. 1st Man,

    It's raining continuously here, right now in the past two weeks we received well over 24 inches in the last 2 weeks. I don't see a stop anytime soon, weather people are saying to expect this through June 10th. OMG!!!!! We need an Ark here!!! You can't step in any grass without wading through water and sinking at least 5 inches. Be careful, and safe my friend!!!
    I pray your bee's are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!