Wednesday, May 5, 2021

BANANA PUPS

Banana pup coming up

Remember when I had the bananas in the back of the Jeep because of the historic freeze? Not sure what was going on in the back of the car, LOL, but I discovered this!  They had given birth to "pups" ha!  They are of course also called suckers or offshoots from the main tree.  In the ground, they can be dug up and planted and will become a new banana tree.

Banana pup

So I dug them up though one didn't make it out of the process, it broke off at the root end.  Oh well.  I saved this one with a nice root ball on the end, grabbed a container with some fresh soil and planted it a couple of weekends ago.

We still have to figure out where we are going to put them.  Because of their growth habit, we want to make sure they are planted in the right spot.  They can grow fast and tall.  They also aren't always the most attractive plant in the world, well, more tropical looking than farm looking, like they should be around the sides of a pool or something like that.

We're thinking we can maybe put them in an area of the yard and just leave them to grow and multiply...when we do that, it looks like we might eventually have a banana grove in our future, ha!


11 comments:

  1. If the plants thrive and produce offshoots, will they actually produce bananas in Texas?
    That would be so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the two large plants we have are a gift from a coworker and her parents have the trees these came from and they get bananas every year (though the freeze damages them down to the grown but the shoot up and get bananas. Now is we cover them each year (once we're there) we might have more than we want ha. Theoretically ha.

      Delete
    2. Like zucchini ... you can always share! LOL

      Delete
    3. Yes this is true and I bet our family and coworkers would be more than happy, ha.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Right? It's one of my favorite things. SO good.

      Delete
  3. Like you mentioned; plant them in an 'outoftheway' area and just let them multiply and within no time you will have a banana jungle. Just don't go ape once your jungle starts. :}

    A banana every morning is my breakfast. Did you know by peeling a banana from the bottom end, you won't get all them little so called banana 'strings'. Banana peels are great for you garden; especially for roses. Whenever I plant a rose I will throw in a banana peel right in the hole before setting the rose in. when I'm not planting all my banana peels go in a bag right into the freezer until planting time again or they go in the compost tumbler.

    Why did the banana go to the doctor?
    It wasn't peeling well.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Met to ask you before now on how your pineapple plant was doing. Did it survive when we had them freezing temperatures back in Feb.?

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on your banana pups!
    I had banana plants for several years and even had some crops of bananas. They froze to the ground each winter but came back each spring. They look so pretty and tropical and I love the sound of their large leaves rustling in the wind. I lost them in a drought one summer when I couldn’t keep up with watering. I need to get some again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I saw the title of the post, I thought it was going to be like weenie dogs. It sounds like you really need an orangerie since you grow so many tropical plants.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my god, banana bastards.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!