Friday, October 7, 2022

CD COLLECTION AMAZING TRASH TO TREASURE

  Regular readers know that I have a favorite place to look for bargains...our downstairs trash area!  Our building has trash chutes on every floor and they feed into a separate room, but for boxes and other things that people can't put in the chute, there is an area (indoor) near the loading dock where people can put the things they don't want.  I've found quite a few cool items over the last few years.

Here's another of the latest and I dare say, might just be one of the best finds:

I saw this binder in the trash and thought "Hmm, what's that?"  I figured it might be papers or something from a school or someone's office.  I almost walked on by.

I opened it up...and couldn't get back upstairs with it quick enough!


Someone's entire music collection of CDs...


There's everything From Whitney Houston to Alan Jackson and Taylor Swift...


Bon Jovi....Brooks and Dunn...Alison Krauss...


Eight Alabama albums...
There's also Garth Brooks, Blake Shelton, Belinda Carlisle, Alicia Keyes, Kelly Clarkson, Aaron Neville and dozens and dozens more.  There are even classical artists and some Celtic music!  32 pages, each holding 8 CDs each and only two empty spots...254 total!

What the heck?

We can only guess that perhaps there was a divorce and an ex threw them out?

Or maybe someone died?  With regard to that, 2nd Man said if we woke up and all the cabinet doors were open and the chairs were piled on the table because whoever passed wanted them back, the binder was going back to the trash, LOL!

Of course, CDs aren't as common as they once were (who knows, that might be why someone dumped them) but we still have a CD player with our stereo system here and at the farm (and yes we still have a record player in storage for future use with my parents record collection).  We've been looking online and apparently, there are places where you can send them and they will convert them to digital so they can be accessed by mobile devices.

For now though, we'll put them up and use them when we want some music to listen to.  This person's musical taste aligns very well with ours so hey, it's a win!

This was DEFINITELY a treasure rescued from the trash.


15 comments:

  1. Man, you really hit the Jackpot. Got some Great CD"S there.
    I still play CD's and also have a record player in my dining area that every once in awhile I will put on a record and play it. I do have a big collection of records.
    Some years back George Jones was in Arlington promoting dog food and he even autographed his record album for me, plus was able to snap a few pictures of him singing the album. It's framed and hanging up in my craft room.
    I also have a collection of cassette tapes.
    Once you move out to the farm, you're going to miss not being able to get those treasures that you're getting now. It will be curbside treasures and dumpster diving. :}
    Enjoy the rest of the day and have a wonderful evening and a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If your computer has a CD or a DVD drive, you can record all of those CDs on it as music files. Then you can transfer them to a large capacity thumb drive and play them in your car or anyplace that accepts the thumb drive as a source. Our 2014 Impala does that and we have our entire music collection in there on one large drive. Takes a little work but is so worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a lot of money spent for that collection! Wow! You really did luck out with that find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's quite a find. My kids have nothing but digital playlists now, but we're still CD people. It's nice to put an old favorite in for power cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lucky you. I remember when they first started "pushing" CDs as replacement for both vinyl and tape and how resistent everyone was to it. Recently a friend of mine and his husband found an old cabinet HiFi in a junk shop. Bought it for just a few dollars and had it completely rebuilt. Not only do they have a large vinyl collection but all of a sudden there are shops that stock vinyl (both old and new). Except for my tremor these days and the damage that could do to a record I have always preferred the sound of a record. Enjoy your new treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fantastic find! And so many great artists. Y’all are really going to enjoy this Trash-to-Treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a wonderful find! You can copy those yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now they do not put CD players in most new cars. Mine is a 2020 and it does not have one. My daughter bought two new trucks for the farm and ask where the CD players were, they told her people don't use them that much now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent! My husband collects music of all types and genre. He has things as far back as 78 vinyl, eight track tapes, and even old wax rolls. The wax rolls are the only thing he doesn’t currently have the equipment to play them on. Otherwise he has all of the equipment, most of it in duplicate!

    Last count he had almost 18,000 LPs, about 15,000 45s, and over 12,000 CDs. I can’t remember the numbers on his movies of all types and genre and his video games. Oh I forgot to mention cassette tapes!

    We actually purchased an Amish built barn with a loft which is 36 feet long, 16 feet wide and I don’t remember how tall 16 feet maybe? You can stand up in the loft without trouble. That building is almost full. We joke with his kids that they’re going to have to deal with it when we’re gone.

    Dan is 73 years old and while in good health, it was his goal to rip all of the music he has collected to his computer before he dies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! What an awesome find! I still have my thick CD binder…very 90’s, with a few 80’s mixed in, I haven’t listened to any of mine in years. Satellite radio just made listening to my favorite genres so much easier than fumbling with CDs. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Despite enjoying a lot of digital, we still have our CDs and DVDs. What do you do for entertainment when the power is out, you're running on the generator, but the internet is down?

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a great find. I hope you don't wake up to all the cabinet doors open. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Lucky! If you find the kitchen cabinets open and the chairs on the table, you have a Poltergeist. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd love to figure out how to move all my CDs to digital ... but I seem to be too old and confused now to do it! If only there were some young people interested in making a little spare cash and would do it... but I can't even find anyone interested now that we are in Mount Vernon Washington for however long. I'd like to stay here and be able to do what I want but assisted living seems to be on the far horizon... Plus my computer is HP and everything else is apple ... Ipads and Iphones.. I'd sure love to digitize it and cut down on storage space though .. that was a plan before this move, but ran out of time and energy!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lucky You! You definitely have a Guardian Angel watching over you. What a find and free one at that! I still have all my old LP albums and I'm still in the market for a turntable.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!