Thursday, October 13, 2022

BURPEE SILICONE SEED STARTERS

We ran some errands the other day, 2nd Man was doing some volunteering with Habitat for Humanity (their retail store) and so I went to a nearby Walmart.  They had a clearance section and a lot of "Summer" stuff that was discounted.  I found these:

Burpee SuperSeed seed starting trays.

I got two of the 8 cell trays...

And two of the 16 cell trays...

These are a bit different than the plastic kinds that are so familiar.  These are made of a harder, thicker plastic (reminded us of something "Rubbermaid" might make) and they are reusable.  That's right, you can run them through the dishwasher (or just wash in the sink, ha) to use season after season.

What makes them more unique is this feature...

The bottom half of each "cell" is made of rubbery silicone instead of that thin black plastic that is normal on the bottom of these type of trays.   


Here is a picture from the website.  Pretty neat.  The transplants just pop out.  The only down side is they don't come with the little greenhouse lid thing but then again, I've found when I used those in the past, it didn't make much difference.  As long as you keep them watered and in light, seeds always seem to sprout.

On AMAZON THEY ARE $12 and up for each.

I paid $3 for the 8-cells and $5 for the 16-cells.

You all know I love a deal!

12 comments:

  1. Another great deal! You sure have a nose for sniffing those out. The quality of these are excellent. And that flexible silicone bottom will make transplanting so much easier. Now you have the perfect set-up to get a head-start on your spring seedlings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or I'm just in the right place at the right time ha. Yes, these are much sturdier and made to last season after seeing. I hope to get a head start on some next Spring.

      Delete
  2. That is a great deal. I like the pop out feature. That will come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought that was an interesting feature. I've torn up some roots trying to get them out of those others.

      Delete
  3. Good features for sure! When you are starting your seeds, just lay a sheet of bubble wrap on the soil until you see some germination. No domes necessary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, we never thought of bubblewrap that's a great idea. Thanks!!!

      Delete
  4. And a bargain you did find. Helpful hint. We have an attic room over our garage that has a south facing window. We put a cheap bookshelf in front of it and put our seed starting trays there. Not only do they get sun and light but they get warmth which is essential when starting seeds and it is still before the last frost and cold out overnight. Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You always have great advice from experience. Thank you. South facing window, will have to remember that. :-)

      Delete
  5. Great gardening item. You sure are good at sniffing out them wonderful bargains.
    Probably won't be long before you start planting your garlic crop.
    Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. After years of sitting, I finally tossed those dirty flimsy 6-packs. I found a bunch of peat pots in the shed to be used next year, otherwise I think I'm going to use newspaper pots. At least they don't seem to turn black moldy like the toilet paper cores do.
    In our old house, I'd set the seeds between the top of the refrigerator and the cabinet over it. Nice and warm, it worked well for seeds that don't need light to germinate.
    This house, I set the seed pots in a southeast window and cover them with plastic wrap or bags, then remove it when things start germinating. As soon as that happens, they need all the air they can get to help avoid damping off. Air movement or shaking the tray gently helps strengthen stems too.
    These look very nice, great that they can go in the dishwasher. Nice score!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!