Friday, January 19, 2024

DEAD BATTERY

So this week has been crazy with the cold and on Wednesday, when the roads were no longer icy, we all had to head back into the office.  I went out to my car to start it...DEAD.  So I popped the hood, used my Halo portable jumpstarter and it took about four attempts to get it started.  I hopped in and started to work.  Drove about 3 blocks down the road and everything in the car went dark and it died.

In the middle of the road.
In rush hour.
My heart rate may have gotten a bit elevated, ha.

I hopped out, used the jumpstarter and once again, it took about four attempts before it started.  I figured three blocks from home would get me three blocks BACK so I turned around and made it back to the parking garage.  I left it parked and running while I came in and made some calls.  

As one might imagine, places around town were crazy busy but just down the road was an NTB.  I headed over and got in right away.


I waited about 30 minutes, they tested it and two dead cells.  A couple hundred dollars later, I left with a new battery and a warning to keep an eye on my alternator.  My dashboard display has an option that shows battery voltage.  It was 13.7 when I left, 13.9 when I got to work, 14.2 when I got home and yesterday it topped out at 14.5 which is normal.  I guess that means the alternator is working and doing what it's supposed to do, but I probably should still have it checked just to make sure.

2nd Man's car is rarely driven since he works from home 100% of the time so we're guessing his battery will be dead and/or need to be replaced as well.  We haven't even tried to start it yet.

It's always best to expect the unexpected, ha.

Yesterday was my FIRST full day in the office since my heart attack on 12/8.  It seems like a lifetime ago.  In a sense, I guess it was...a new lifetime now.


6 comments:

  1. You got a whole new life! Enjoy it.. Look at the wonderful things around you <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last week I had to get a new battery ... the 3 year battery lasted me 4 years! Wow! When the car hesitated starting immediately, I knew something was off! I had to check my Big O receipt to see when I bought the old battery and headed back to Big O for the new one! $236!
    It does cause the heart to flutter!
    Marcia in Colorado

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the display option is a nice feature so at least you can track it. We have two vehicles but my car is so seldom used that it has a full time battery tender. We did replace both batteries last spring though. There is never a good time for a dead battery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I suppose that was a good test for your heart. I hope my battery starts and is good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having your battery quit in rush hour traffic - scary! That will get your heart rate up!
    I think cold weather can drain power from a battery. And we’ve sure had the Cold Weather! It’s a good thing you keep the portable jump starter in your car.
    I’m so glad your recovery has gone well so that you can get back to work full-time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank goodness you weren't stuck between town and the farm
    Hubby had our battery heck along with everything else before the freezing temperatures moved in. He also checked the air in the tires as well.
    We have rain in forecast moving in Sunday evening and going through Wed morning.
    I'll take the rain before the ice.
    Have an enjoyable weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!