Saturday, May 26, 2012

MY GRANDFATHER'S BIRTHDAY


This weekend, my Grandfather turns 95.  Yes, 95 years old!
He was born all the way back in 1917.

He's in a nursing home in Oklahoma and while physically he's not able to get around very much, his mind is still sharp and he is, occasionally, just as ornery as ever. He is the last of my grandparents so he's kind of special.  Both sets of grandparent's (and both sets of great grandparents) had farms and/or gardens, but he was the one that I spent Summers with when I was little.  I would help him in his gardens and would then help (but mostly watch) my Grandmother canning all of the stuff that he grew.  I can directly relate my want of a small farm/garden to that influence from all of them, him in particular.

So this weekend, today actually as you read this, we are driving up there to see him.  It's a surprise visit so I'm sure he will be thrilled to see us.  He may be 95, but he loves 2nd Man as if he were his own.  That's pretty awesome in my book.


We talk by phone several times per week but because he's in Oklahoma, I don't get up there as often as I would like.  While we are there, I hope to get some gardening tips and advice from him, and maybe some stories that he might remember of gardens and farm living from back in the day.  I haven't told him about the farm yet, I wanted to surprise him with that.  So I'm bringing lots of pictures, I can't wait to hear his reaction.

Have a great long weekend and I'll update as I can!

9 comments:

  1. so terrific that he is still able to love you two like he wants. And the drive ought to be terrific also. Have fun. Maybe we can get together some day and can together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest thing ever! Happy 95th FM grandpa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a treasure you have in your grandpa!!! i am so jealous! i hope that you all have a wonderful time celebrating! tell us everything that he says - i am sure that he will have many words of wisdom for all of us! i am so happy that you are both going to see him - how awesome!

    ack. i got tears in my eyes. i've been cutting onions. ack. i need a tissue. reading this makes me want to be there with you all - just sitting off to the side and enjoying how happy he will be when you tell him about the farm. and all because of his influence. oh - gotta go take care of these onions.

    i can't wait to hear all about it! Happy 95th Birthday, Grandpa!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful! You are sure to make his day! Looking forward to any and all stories and words of wisdom you might bring back with you. Have a beautiful happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful story! Have a safe trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a joyous weekend you must be having!! I miss my grandparents so much. Happy Birthday to your grandfather. Like the others, I can't wait to hear what he says about the farm, and all I'm sure he has to teach us. Enjoy, and safe travels.

    judydee

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful, and what an incredible source of knowledge and inspiration he must be! Happy birthday to your very special grandpa!
    -Jaime

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great time and a safe journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you were able to have a happy birthday celebration with him there in Oklahoma! It’s definitely a good thing that his sharp mind works like he never aged at all. What was his reaction about your very own farm? I bet he had loads of advice and tips up his sleeves for you. Well, take note of all the things he said! I’m sure those will prove useful to you!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!