Wednesday, May 16, 2012

DOOR MOUNTED STORAGE RACK

Closet Door Shelf Organizer
Not sure how many of you have used one of these but they are awesome.  Since our guest room has two closets and realistically, we only need to use one of those for guests and storing other things, we decided to make this one our cleaning closet.  This closet is closest to the kitchen and since we have a vacuum to deal with and the attachments for it that seem to fall all over the place, we decided to get this.  We will use it for keeping those and most all of the other cleaning supplies in one spot.  I found it at our local Home Depot.  It comes in two sizes and since this door is narrow, this is the smaller of the two sizes, the 24" wide version.  Still, for just 24", it packs seven shelves into that space.  This is the first time we've used one but we couldn't be happier with the purchase.


It was VERY easy to install; just 6 snap on plastic brackets (2 at the top, 2 in the middle and 2 at the bottom), a couple of screws in each one and it was done.  Took me about 10 minutes total time.  We don't have it full now of course, but as you can see, it will be the perfect 'central location' for our cleaning related things and in a small house like this, that's important.  We can still hang coats in there and I will be putting a shelf above the closet rod this weekend.  

Don't be afraid of these ready made, wire organizers.  They do have their place for storage in your house and best of all, they are very affordable.  In such a small house, you have to steal some storage space wherever you can get it.

Can't wait to get it organized!
Closet Door Shelves in use

11 comments:

  1. I have the same racks on the back of my pntry door....all my spices are in it. Works like a charm!....and it was easy to install.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a simple idea and easy to put up, everyone should have at least one on a door somewhere in their house, ha.

      Delete
  2. Same here on the pantry!! Farmhouses didn't have much pantry space in the 1920s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't did they? Of course they probably never imagined having so many food related tools and spices and other things in one space, ha.

      Delete
  3. And ditto here. We have one with space for spices and canned goods. But you know, how silly of me is this, I never thought about using it in other rooms for other things, like cleaning supplies and stuff. Heck, I'm thinking now I could put one on the back of my bathroom door and keep towels and stuff on it! Wow, now I'm excited, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks for that. Hey, if I can give one person an idea they didn't think about before, I'm happy. It makes me feel like I've done something, ha. You know, the bathroom door is another great place for it. We just liked that it gave us so much more space for some of the cleaning supplies and things (and it's not even full yet!). Of course, we have two other closet doors we could use as well, so we might have yet 'more storage' in our future. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. ugh. back at our old house in the city i had bird's eye maple cabinetry that went from floor to ceiling. we had those racks inside every cabinet - oh it was heaven. here at the Manor we have 2 closets...neither of which have doors. oh to have my big cabinets back again......sob! but yours look great and they work like a charm!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works right? Yes, I know what you mean about missing stuff. But the best thing about a change is improvising and coming up with a new solution. We only have the three closets and they are small, three feet wide, but we'll figure out other methods of storage. If you come up with some, do share!! Thanks kymber!

      Delete
  5. For those with a cheaper version of this rack: I have a very similar rack in my pantry; However, it hooks onto the top of the door and does not screw in. This presented a problem when I opened the pantry door and everything fell out of the back of the shelves. To fix this I just stitched a piece of burlap (or any thick fabric will do) onto the back side of the shelves to hold everything in when the rack swing back and forth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea! You know once upon a time, I had a rack like that, and I do recall that being a problem, it would let stuff fall out the back. I never thought about fabric on the back side. Great idea, thanks for sharing!!

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!