Friday, May 18, 2012

RULES OF GARDENING, FRIDAY FUNNY


UNWRITTEN RULES OF GARDENING 
by David Hobson

The best way to garden is to put on a wide brimmed straw hat and some old clothes and then, with a hoe in one hand and a cold drink in the other, tell somebody else where you want them to dig.

Compost is best aged a little like a fine wine; would you prefer to drink a nice 97 or something made last Thursday?

When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it; if it comes up out of the ground easily, it's definitely a valuable plant.

A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for learning how to grow in rows.

Spring does not arrive until the ice is out of the compost pile.
Winter does not arrive until the ice is IN the compost pile.

Any self respecting rock will break at least one shovel before accepting its new home.

A good compost pile should get hot enough to poach an egg, but not so hot that it would cook a lobster.

Gardening requires a lot of water, most of it in the form of perspiration.

18 comments:

  1. Delightful! They all sound true to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So very true huh? Though we don't have to worry much about the ice in the compost down here, ha.

      Delete
  2. 1st Man - i try to practice unwritten rule number one as often as possible. it is the best unwritten rule, in my humble opinion, and has worked well for me for years!

    unwritten rule number one - also known as - telling jambaloney where the next digging job is - bahahahahah!

    loved this! your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might like this. It's funny when I was creating the post I was thinking of those images of Jambaloney digging your HK beds, ha. Were standing off to the side with a hat and a drink? LOL!

      Delete
  3. Great post. Thx for following my blog. I love that you are embarking on a new life adventure too. I hope we can share the journey. I will be returning to your blog often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! No problem, really enjoy your blog as well. Yes, it's a slow process but we're all embarking on a journey it seems. I'll be visiting you often as well!!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I think that first one is the best one, ha! Can't go wrong with those instructions!!

      Delete
  5. Gardening with a smile - what a great concept. thx for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't smile enough do we? Glad you enjoyed it!! :-)

      Delete
  6. I think you made a typo in the last point. Gardening requires lots of WINE not water. Thats whats gets your though the bugs and blight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!!!!! TOO funny, I totally agree! In fact, I had a bit of wine whilst sitting on the porch the last time I was out there. It sure makes gardening and working in the yard much easier! ;-)

      Delete
  7. ha to the list and to jane!=)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!