Wednesday, February 19, 2014

FRITO PIE RECIPE

OK, this is not really a recipe per se, more like sharing something unusual that is truly a Southern dish.  Southwestern too.  We have it on occasion when we want to do something that's easy, it's cold outside, and we just feel like throwing caution to the wind, ha.

It is called "Frito Pie".  What?  Never heard of it?  CLICK HERE for the Wiki entry all about it.  No one knows the true origin but the 'recipe' always consists of at least Fritos, chili and cheese.  Anything else you want to add is entirely optional.  I myself grew up eating it just like this.  2nd Man grew up eating it at his brother's sports games where it was served IN a small bag of Fritos!  It can even be baked like a casserole.  This though, is how we enjoy it most.  Sure you can go all fancy and make your own chili, and we have done that on occasion but really, after a long day at work, and a cold drive home, nothing is easier than opening a can of your favorite chili and throwing this together.

These are the four basic ingredients we use:

 1 large bag of Fritos
1 can of chili (your favorite)
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 onion

Heat the chili in a pan.
Shred the cheese.
Dice the onion.
Open the bag of Fritos.


Take a bowl, put as many fritos in the bottom as you'd like, then pour some hot chili on top, and sprinkle on some onions and cheese.  Again, no set amount, just whatever amount you like (or how hungry you are).
Frito Pie
This is what it looks like when you're done assembling it.  The cheese starts to melt and you just dig in with a spoon.  Other options are sour cream, jalapeƱos  chives, bacon, whatever you want to do.  Is it good for you?  Probably not.
Is it delicious and satisfying?  Absolutely.

Try it, you might just like this bit of Americana!


20 comments:

  1. I love chili and will not eat it without Fritos. It just isn't the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know you are so right, just plain old chili with fritos is wonderful.

      Delete
  2. ist Man - although i have seen recipes of this over the internet - i always kinda just shuddered. it is definitely an American thing!!! but then, hey, we put curds and gravy on our fries! it's called poutine and it's delicious.

    i just made a big pot of chili so i will send jambaloney to our little town store and hope they have fritos. we'll give this recipe a try. if i hate it, i am coming after you - bahahahahah!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shuddered? I bet some (though not me!) would shudder about poutine, you're right. I know what that is though and I must say, if I ever get to Canada, poutine is on my list. I'm sure someplace down here makes it but really, I'm not sure it's what you would call 'authentic', ha.

      So it's been a day, did you get some? Unless you hated it, then, um, stay warm!!! :-)

      Delete
  3. this has been served at the woolworth's window on the square in santa fe for a long long time. they just open the bag of fritos, dump in the chili, onions and cheese and you have frito pie to go...they give you a plastic fork. i used to make this for my kids birthday parties. i still make bowls of this for us whenever i make chili. it is so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that on TV one night, they were talking about food in NM. I saw the bag and 2nd Man goes "that's how we used to eat it at my brothers school football games!"

      Might should try it that way sometime! :-)

      Delete
  4. When it is served in the Frito's bag it is called a walking taco--very popular for the marching band set, lol. My daughter loved it when she was in high school marching band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw 'walking taco' on the wiki entry about it. I can honestly say I've never heard that before. That's neat though, I'll have to remember that (though for the life of me I'm not sure how it relates to a taco, ha).

      Delete
    2. First time I ever heard of Walking Tacos was at our little Grandsons school carnival years ago in Southern Iowa it was a big hit. So I tried them. Yep agree, also so handy to eat...yummy

      Delete
  5. Walking taco and Frito Pie ~ okay... I admit - I'm a bit north for hearing this recipe. BUT you can bet I'm going to make it!! I do like to put cheese curds in my chili though when eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's an odd combination but almost seems made for each other. Ahh, cheese curds, have only had the luxury of having those once, they squeaked when I ate them, and I LOVED them. I bet they are wonderful in chili!!

      Delete
  6. I'm so surprised. I didn't know this had a name. And, I have never eaten it, just prepared it minus the onions. Since I don't eat Fritos, I suppose I never will have this dish. A friend told me once that he dumped chili in the bag of Fritos, but he didn't tell me this was a common thing. hmmmm Well, I learned a few things today. Oh, I do live in the Deep South.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I understand. I actually thought should I post it or would everyone go 'oh yeah I've seen/heard of that'. It's really good, but I understand some people don't like fritos and that is a key component. :-)

      Delete
  7. Hailing from the Central Valley of California. When I was growing up we served these at our food booths for the 4-H fair. We called them "Frito boats". Yummy no matter what they are called.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frito Boats! I like that too! Great to hear the regional differences. Definitely good!!

      Delete
  8. We eat them here in frozen Iowa and as far as I know they are called Walking Tacos. First time I ate them was at a party after we moved here. Not a Minnesota thing unless it has gone further north than I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another vote for walking tacos, ha. Maybe it's slowly creeping across the country, LOL!

      Delete
  9. Here I am on vacation, enjoying my first cup of coffee for the day watching the waves crashing in on the stormy Oregon coast, and I could totally dig into a pile of this right now! Have not had it before and will sure be making it as soon as we get back home!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sigh, watching the waves, I bet, even though stormy, it's beautiful. It's great any time of year but on a cold day, it is delish!!! Enjoy your vacation!!!

      Delete
  10. Here it is 2024!! Frito Pie still the bomb cold wintry day meal here in Oklahoma.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!