Monday, February 17, 2014

HOMEMADE DIY DIBBER AND A SURPRISE

What is this?
Some might call it a "necessity is the mother of invention" moment.
I might be more inclined to call it an "oh crap, I can't find what I need" moment.

Homemade dibber type garden tool
I used to have one of those tools for the raised beds that are called "dibbers", which is basically a pointed stick that you use for making holes in soil to plant bulbs, seeds, seedlings, etc.

When I was getting ready to put my garlic and shallots in late last year, I couldn't find my dibber.  Curses!  I think it got thrown away accidentally when I was clueing out some boxes in town.  I dug around in a kitchen drawer and found a rubber wine bottle cork we had saved for some odd reason, and a long wooden skewer from a package of skewers.  I figured they might do the job.








I pushed the skewer into the cork and it was done.  At first, I was going to use it like this by just using the skewer to push the cork down into the soil, thereby making a large hole...





...but I actually ended up using it like this.  I used the cork as a sort of handle, and stuck the skewer into the dirt.  Then I just wiggled it around and around in a widening circular motion until it created an inverted, cone shaped hole to plant in.  Sometimes, you just have to do what works, ha.


English made Dibber
So flash forward to Valentine's Day.  2nd Man surprised me with this.  It's a large dibber, handmade in England.  It's pretty neat, has a brass tip, and metal depth rings along the length.  Even a handy little leather strap to hang it with.  It's almost too pretty to use.  But I guess it's better than my homemade version, though I might keep that around just in case.


20 comments:

  1. that is a nice dibbler! i have a bunch of dibblers in assorted sizes. they work really well in raised beds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to use it. It's so pretty, I hate to dirty it up but hey, everything is new at first, right? Ha.

      Delete
  2. Haha--I have a homemade dibber too. It is a chopstick that I marked measurements on with a sharpie. I love the new one though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whatever works right? He, nothing wrong with it as long as you get done what you intended.

      Delete
  3. You are very clever! I have a skewer and and a rubber wine cork. I am going to do this one too. Thanks for sharing the idea.

    btw, your new dibber is beautiful.

    Velva

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, no problem. My homemade 'stick' worked just fine. Though I guess I better use the new one, ha.

      Delete
  4. Such a thoughtful gift! I usually end up using a random stick, but would appreciate the usefulness of a true dibbler especially with the depth rings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A random stick will work just fine too! Heck I think I could have used that myself. I'll see how it is when I finally get to using it (here soon!)

      Delete
  5. Very nice new dibber, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. THAT dibber is waaaay too pretty to use!!! it should be hung on the wall as a decoration!

    and you should be ashamed that you don't practice the kymber and jam art of dibbing - it's called - using yer freakin hands and fingers as dibbers!!! now go hang your head in shame! bahahahahaha! yer welcome!

    your friend,
    kymber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! That WAS my first thought, ha.

      My fingers? But that would involve getting my hands dirty? You can't get your hands dirty while gardening can you? HAHAHA!!!! Yes, I might just end up doing that too ha.

      Delete
  7. I would use that handy leather strap around my wrist so that I would not drop it as I dibbed. Also, it would just be easier to carry as well as hang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, smart, probably what it's for actually, ha.

      Delete
  8. What a great gift! Also might come in handy if you spy a burglar in the house at night and have to use a weapon...LOL!
    Going back to yesterday's post, I have many facebook friends who are cat lovers.....I "stole" that last "kitty pic" and posted it on my FB page for them...please say you don't mind..I listed your blog as the source so you also may be getting some new blog visitors in the future. That picture is just so "purrfect"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH I absolutely don't mind. That last pic WAS adorable. BY all means help yourself anytime. Thank you! We love all animals, we've both had dogs and cats growing up, but I have to say were just so partial to cats! As cute as puppies are, kittens are just PRECIOUS! :-)

      Delete
  9. 1st Man,

    I use my fingers with medical gloves, this way I don't get dirty and I get the job done :-)

    Love the dibber 2nd man bought you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Great idea!!! Actually, gloves do a great job of keeping us clean don't they?

      Thanks!

      Delete
  10. That is a very elegant tool! I'd have trouble getting it dirty...at least, the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man now I have serious dibber envy! So pretty I would get a nice leather strap and wear it as jewelry. Yes I would

    ReplyDelete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!