Thursday, February 13, 2014

GARDEN SCARECROW, INSPIRATION THURSDAY

Scarecrow in garden, image courtesy of Southernliving.com
OK.  Silly inspiration but hey, if you've always wanted one, then that makes it valid, right?  So for  the longest time I used to have a fascination with scarecrows.  Loved seeing them as a kid.  Some kids are scared of them but I guess the ones I saw were never scary.  Anyway, as I grew to adulthood, I never gave it much though.  And to be honest, even once we bought the property, and I was dreaming of gardens, I didn't think about it still.

Then one day I saw this picture on a gardening website and I told 2nd Man, that's it!  We need a scarecrow at the farm!  I'm not sure if they really work, but they look great and I've got a big spot in the future garden that one would look perfect in.  Now I just need to figure out the easiest way to make one.  Looks pretty simple to me.  A cross of some sort and some old clothes.

What about you?  Ever had a scarecrow?

Have a great day!

Be inspired!

8 comments:

  1. go here and you can see how i make mine! http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/2009/08/return-of-jake.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you SO much for the step by step. That's what I was looking for. I'm starting to save up some old clothes.

      Delete
  2. I have wanted one too. I even set aside a set of clothes one spring but never did figure out how to make it. Jaz's blog above is for a scarecrow that sits. We used to make baby scarecrows with the 4th graders as a fun fall activity and used that same method with the panty hose. I want to make the cross beam kind pictured on your blog so if you find out how let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking for some info on it. I want the cross beam as well. Seems fairly easy, might just work on that as soon as i get the garden going.

      Delete
  3. My daughters entire classroom made scarecrows at the end of last year. Parents were told to send in anything they thought might be useful, bits of material, gloves, etc. They decorated the school with the finished products, they had them lying in the garden, tied to trees and sitting on out door furniture. It showed what a little imagination could do as there were mermaids, superheroes and even a donkey. It looked wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that was cute to see! I bet the imaginations were running wild. A donkey scarecrow? I love it!!!

      Delete
  4. to make a standing scarecrow, just nail together a wooden cross. put the cross bar through the shirt first then lay the other bar down the center and nail it together. pull one pant leg up through the vertical pole. then just make it like i did. just make sure the vertical pole is long enough to stick in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that! I think I'm going to work on that soon. When I'm done with the hard stuff, ha. Thank you so much for the info. You are awesome!!

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!