Wednesday, February 12, 2014

SIGNED UP FOR BEEKEEPING SCHOOL

A couple of years ago, I took a very basic 'intro to beekeeping' class.  I had a blast getting up close and personal with bees and it gave me, no pun intended, the bug for keeping bees.  Of course at that time, we had to do much more on the property to even get to that point and to be honest, I also wanted to see if I felt comfortable around them.  Here are a couple of photos from that class:

Me, holding bees!
I was definitely comfortable, ha.
I was also totally fascinated by the whole process, not to mention the natural beauty of the bees and how they create what they do.

Honeycomb section with honey
So recently, a fan of the blog who lives not too farm from our farm, reached out in an email to say hello and chat.  Turns out he and his wife built their dream home on some rural property and like us, have planted fruit trees, berries, etc, on their land.  They also have a couple of hives!

Also like us, they had no experience prior to having them but had always wanted to do it.  So last year, they took a beekeeping course and then jumped in and did it.  And they enjoy it.  In our email conversations, he gave me the information on the school for this year.  It's an all day event, with a beginners class in the morning with a lot of information and then you can choose from a wide variety of informative classes in the afternoon (up to four per person).

So last night, I signed 2nd Man and I up for the school!
Anyone in this part of Texas that might like to attend, here is the link:


We are looking forward to it and of course, a big thank you to JM and his wife for not only the kind words about the blog, but for the wonderful tip about the school.  Let this be the year of "beginning the bees" at Seda Bolsa Farm!


More as it gets closer to the class.
Saturday, March 29th 2014 in Brenham, Texas.

12 comments:

  1. i will love following your bee progress! i would love to have bees but i am deadly allergic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your allergy, I know that can be a big issue. You can live vicariously through here, safely, ha. Stay warm and safe!

      Delete
  2. You brave man! I am completely scared poopless of wasps and Honeybees just look too similar for my liking. Thankfully I do not like honey though lol.
    Enjoy your course and I look forward to seeing your first hives arrive :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You made me laugh out loud, seriously. Yes, I am looking forward to it. But I have no idea (yet) of course about when you should set them up, etc. It might have to be a Fall thing, or late Summer. That's what I learn I'll suppose, ha.

      Delete
  3. They should really improve your produce output. You might need to plant some more flowers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that. And guess what one of the classes is during the day long event? "Beescaping" what to plant and how to make the bees happy with flowers. :-)

      Delete
  4. 1st Man you make me itch to get started on our own projects! Beehives and bees - if I lived in your part of Texas I think I would attend as well.
    I would grow a lot of lavender and roses for them.
    Kirk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roses definitely, I'm going to try lavender here (I would love to because we love lavender) but our humid weather and somewhat rough soil on occasion makes it difficult. We'll see what happens!! Stay tuned!

      Delete
  5. 1st Man,

    Alright!!!! This is going to be fun for both you and 2nd Man. No classes being offered up here yet. I'm still keeping my eyes open. Wish I lived closer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sandy! It will be fun (for me, I think he'll stay inside, ha) But I'm making him learn anyway so he will understand the process.

      I did a quick google search and found some possible courses in Oklahoma. Look for Oklahoma Beekeepers Association and there are several, and a couple mentioned 'beginning beekeeping' and stuff like that. Not sure where they are in relation to you but you might ask around because Spring seems to be the time they are having course in various states. :-)

      Delete
  6. That's awesome. When I was a child my dad was a beekeeper & had lots of hives and we had lots of honey. Enjoy your classes & can't wait to hear all about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll hear it here first, the good and the (hopefully not) bad! Isn't having honey like that awesome? I can't wait to someday share with friends/family and say 'this is honey from our own hives'. Ha.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!