Sunday, February 23, 2014

GROW MORE SUGAR BEETS, VINTAGE POSTER SUNDAY

Grow More Sugar Beets, vintage poster image courtesy of US National Archives
A couple of months ago, I posted an image of A SIMILAR POSTER urging people during the war to grow more sugar beets.  It would help, as the poster shows. to meet the wartime need for sugar.  Sugar beet is a vegetable that is very high in sugar, upwards of 20%.

They are still cultivated today, providing about a 1/5 of the worlds production of sugar.  I'm not sure if they are as 'big' as the one portrayed in this poster image, but it's a pretty neat one to say the least.

Today is raining, we have already had a 1/4" of rain this morning.  We need the rain of course, but it cuts the day out as far as doing stuff outside.  Fortunately, I was at the farm yesterday, getting a bit more done.  Today, 2nd Man heads back out of town again.

We are also NASCAR fans (I know, weird huh?) and of course today is the Daytona 500 so we are looking forward to that.

UPDATE:  And so far, IT'S delayed!

UPDATE 2:  And now, they are starting it again!


Hope you are having a good weekend!

6 comments:

  1. When I lived in Colorado, there were a lot of farmers in the area raising sugarbeets. And they really are large lumpy things! When I'd see the big open trucks carrying loads of them down the road I would sometimes see one tumble off, and it always reminded me of the expression about "I didn't just fall off a turnip truck!" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I never thought about where that phrase came from but I guess turnips falling of a turnip truck are more common than I thought, ha. I mean, the phrase is not "I didn't just fall off a carrot truck" or a "tomato truck" or a "lettuce truck", ha!!!

      Delete
  2. Are we EVER gonna get this race going again???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. FINALLY! Right? It was good! Crazy accidents but good.

      Delete
  3. We used to grow sugar beets...they are HUGE! Once I chopped one up and boiled it down and made a teeny-tiny bit of sugar...My kids thought it was AWESOME. Most sugar beets are now GMO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? That's interesting, I'll have to try to find one some day. I think it could be neat to get one and try that just to see how it works. Fascinating! Sad about GMO though...ugh.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!