Thursday, October 13, 2016

GIANT OUTDOOR CHECKERS, INSPIRATION THURSDAY

Every Thursday, we like to post a picture of something we've found online that inspires us to do something similar at the farm.  
Sort of our own blog bulletin board so that we can eventually look back and, hopefully anyway, recreate it...enjoy!

Image via Pinterest
Now this would most certainly be much farther into the future, but hey, inspiration strikes anytime, anyplace.  I've often been mesmerized by the giant outdoor chess or checkers.  While Googling "outdoor games" I came across this set up.  We love the way it's set into the landscape....the benches...the plants and flowers around it, etc.  How fun would this be to be with someone, just casually sitting on each bench, glass of wine in hand, playing checkers outside?   I've seen this being done with large square pavers too.

Like I said, in the grand plan, this would be much nearer the end of our project list but hey, never hurts to dream, right?

Be inspired!

14 comments:

  1. As I ponder retirement this idea has a certain appeal but only if the checker "pieces" (or, whatever they are called) are operated by a remote control! Geo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, i wasn't sure what they were called either...but yes, I understand, it would be nice to sit on each bench and "direct" the piece to where it needs to go, HA!!! Thanks!!!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE that. Hopefully, those checker pieces don't weigh as much as it seems they might. How about adding a large stick for moving them around so I would not have to bend. Love it so much. Those look like square pavers to me. What are they, painted?
    ppsrsimony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I've seen some you can buy and you can fill them with sand to make as heavy or light as you want. A moving stick is a great idea! It's not remote control like Geo and I wish but it could work, ha. I think they might be different colored pavers? Or certainly you could do that.

      Delete
  3. I have seen DIY projects that people would make a wooden top for their fire pit with checker board painted or stained on top. Pretty cool idea. When not using the fire pit a person can play checkers or use as a table for your drinks, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh that's a great idea. Thanks!!! We might just have a fire pit in our near future. Working on that. ;-)

      Delete
  4. I think I might put that nearer the front of the list. Why not play a little while you work.
    pparsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you think. Thanks, I will remember this.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if you would move the pieces with a shuffleboard stick...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i almost did this when i planned my gardens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could TOTALLY see something like this in your amazing gardens.

      Delete
  7. Cute idea! As you said, it could be made with 2 colors of pavers. Without the checkers, it would look like a pretty outdoor “rug” - so dual purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh outdoor rug, that's kinda cool. And yep, I think two colors of pavers would be great. I've seen dark gray and then you'd just need a light sandstone.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!