Wednesday, October 19, 2016

FRUIT TREE PALOOZA PART TWO

I blogged HERE a few weeks ago about fruit tree sales I found.  I've spent the last few weekends (and a couple of lunch breaks) scouring other locations to complete what we need for our plans.

Peach trees
Here are the two peaches (thought I wouldn't be able to find them but I did!).  One is a Rio Grande peach and the other is a Florida King peach.  Both varieties for our climate. 

Pear tree
Kieffer pear...low chill hours and will be a perfect compliment to the one we already have, an Orient pear.  

Apple tree
And this a Dorsett Golden apple, to compliment the Ein Shemer apple that we already have.  These are about the only two apples that will grow in this part of Texas, both a yellow variety.  Alas, no red apples growing in Texas.

Plum tree
And this is the other plum that we needed, a Methley plum.  We already have a plum ready to be planted, a Bruce variety, so that will give us two plums as well.  


Last Spring, we bought eight sets of these corners, for building the raised beds (more on that when it happens).  Our plan for the "mini orchard" is to have eight fruit trees...2 plum, 2 apple, 2 pear and 2 peach...and now we do!

The three citrus will go together in another spot and then we'll have to find a place for the avocado and olive trees.  There could be worse problems, ha.

So far anyway, mission accomplished!  

15 comments:

  1. Well done. To be sustainable in fruit and vegies is a dream for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always been one for us and we're slowly, hopefully, making that happen. Stay tuned, ha!!

      Delete
  2. I see lots of great canning and baking coming from these trees in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your lips to God's ears! ha! I hope the trees make it and are happy and produce lots for us.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful! Smart to get different varieties to cross pollinate.

    I planted fruit trees in our yard at home and so far the only fruit has been a couple of apples that fed the squirrels. We plan to move from here before too long, so I guess any future tree planting will be at the lake place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I figured that might be good plus I like the idea of different varieties in case one produces better than the other. If you are at the lake weekly, you can plant some and just water in the Summer when it's not rainy. We aren't out there full time for a few more years but I figure we need to get some fruit growing so it will be producing when we get out there, ha.

      Delete
  4. We've had a Rio Grande peach for 3 years and you will love it -- a great producer of nice size peaches. We also have a Methley plum which is pretty small, but prolific and sweet. Good luck with all of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that!! We always like to hear firsthand when something does well. We heard someone at the garden center tell us about the Methley too which is that it's prolific and tasty. Thank you much! Time will tell!!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Slowly but surely....we'll see how it comes out. It's such a balance between house and land. Always something we want to do but not always enough time (and $$ on occasion too, ha). Thanks!!!

      Delete
    2. P.S. I think you're living in paradise already!! :-)

      Delete
  6. You are going to have some good eating right from your own yard. I hope you are planning a place for chickens some day.
    pparsimony

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, that's the plan, hopefully. And yes, definitely chickens. Have a space in mind, behind the barn and shed, for chickens.

      Delete
  7. How exciting! Now the hard work of building the beds and getting everything planted (and that interminable wait until the first harvest in a couple of years...which I think is the hardest part!!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! Yep, now comes that hard part of the raised beds. Funny I was just thinking "well building won't be TOO bad" but then I forgot how much soil we'll need to fill them. that might have to be delivered. Or maybe ever week I go out, I'll bring a few bags. ;-)

      And yep, 2nd Man is already asking how long after we plant will we have fruit? I said you're gonna have to wait....ha.

      Delete

Please leave us a comment! I have some comment moderation on and of course will approve your comment relatively quickly. We love feedback and hearing what others have to share with us all. Please know that I can't always reply to it right away, but ALL comments are read. I will reply just as soon as I can so be sure to come back and see my reply.

Now, let us hear from you!